Saturday, May 03, 2008

Two shall become one



I know I have a lot of stuff that needs doing, some of it with sooner deadlines than this, but because I am listening to muse (or whatever) I decided to go with it when it told me that I should work on the ALQS quilt instead of some of the other things I perhaps should have been doing. I decided to do something traditional, with something a bit more modern stuck in. So I made these two pieces - a small (about 15" square) trip around the world quilt and a curved strip of flying geese. At some point soon, I will join them together so they look something like this:




approximately. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the blue left so I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the binding. But there's a ways to go before that really becomes an issue, so I'm not going to worry about it just yet.

I also found time to do my journal quilt for the week - it's a sort of a combination of the two sets of ATCs I worked on this week, with a few other bits and pieces thrown in. I have to edge it, but on the whole, it's done.
And here's some stuff I got today - the coloured mesh sheets and the little bits are from Tesco [ok, inserted here a rant about my local Tesco, which you should feel free to skip entirely if you like. Our local Tesco is a huge superstore, which every few years they rebuild to make bigger and have more stuff. Personally I hate it because it's too big, badly organised, claustrophobic and always completely crammed full of shoppers. The other reason I hate it is clearly illustrated by a brief visit today - Alex left his water bottle at the playground this morning (not the local one, the one where Sarah does her tennis, which is about a 15 minute drive). We had to run a few errands, one of which took us directly past Tesco, so i thought we'd stop in and pick up a new water bottle for him. After searching around for a while, I asked someone - they don't stock them. Or lunchboxes. I can buy a television in this supermarket, or a bicycle, or patio furniture, shoes, a mobile phone or a microwave, but they don't stock lunchboxes and water bottles, items which mums regularly have to replace for their kids during the school year. Grr.] and below, another block for the birthday block swap - this one is from Wendi, who has also included a little patchwork pocket purse - either for change or other little bits - it has a velcro closure, so will be quite useful. And a great block, too, isn't it!

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I like the new project with the curved geese inserted into the pink squares. Can't wait to see where you go with it!

sewkalico said...

Obviously I just love this week's journal quilt!

Anonymous said...

You are soooo creative! I love the colors, and I have NEVER seen a curved flying geese!!! WOW!

How do you do that list that you cross stuff out (the to do list)? I am new at this blogging thing. :o)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Tell me about it (re Tescos) I recently went to ASDA looking for a summer dress. They stocked every colour going apart from the one I was after..reason being...well none of their local schools wore that colour so they decided not to carry it! Keep in mind that this ASDA serves more than the Coventry area! Unbelievable!

(Rant over :o)

artisbliss said...

Very, very nice effect on the AQLS quilt. Great colors.

Papoosue said...

ooh, the geese and round the world blook put together reminded me a bit of snakes and ladders! It's all looking wonderful as ever, Kate. xxx