Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Blocks, Mini, Stuff



Made these two blocks for the birthay block swap today, though unfortunately, the one on the left is the wrong size - the yellow diamonds are too big (and they look it, really), so the whole block is an inch too large. I'll make another tomorrow; something will happen with this one, not sure what yet. The one on the right is for Amy, and is a make-up block. I like the way it's come out, after I finally managed to get the QST units the right size...


The other thing I did was to make a start on this little quilt (about 10 inches square) for Lucy Locket, who is having an insane swap-with-everyone project at the moment - she wants a wall o' miniquilts and instead of building it one at a time patiently over a number of years, she opted to try to trade with everyone in blogland privately (I think she's making 17 minis). Anyway, I did the basket and background this afternoon, and the stems and flower heads (which are "loose" and 3D - they are only attached at the button) this evening at my little quilt group. Tomorrow I will add some trim around the top of the basket and binding/sleeve/label. And then it will go off in the post, hoorah.

And because I need more stuff, here's another pile of stuff I came back home with from Lana's house - some books and patterns, which she didn't have out when I got the last lot of fabric - these are some machine quilting designs, a bag pattern (because I haven't made enough bags in the past 6 months!), a cross stitch pattern, a book with a naff cover but some interesting ideas (the fairs & fetes one) and a fabulous vintage sewing book from the early 70's - she wouldn't take any money for that one, just wanted to see it go to a good home - I said I'd babysit it until she came back from India and then she could have it back - we love in particular the fact that they haven't used the word "Barbie" anywhere in the book... In the coming months, I will be sharing some of the lovely photos of cool outfits from this book!

Also got some more fabric, including two pieces I almost bought before and didn't, but decided I really should buy this time, and some embellishments (also not on offer the first time around) and a piece of dark purple lace for doing mixed media stuff with.


3 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I like your little mini pot with flowers. Too cute!

Unknown said...

Love the two back fabrics in the last picture - the little houses and the floral which looks suspiciously like clematis to me - got to be a winner to me there then

sewkalico said...

Lovely 'Lana' loot. Lucy Locket Little likewise looks lovely LOL