Saturday, May 10, 2008

JQP 25, binding decision and so on



What is it about photographing things that are purple, that makes them never come out quite right? I tried this in three different lights, and this is the closest, but it's still not right... Anyway, this is my journal quilt for the week - the background is the piece that I monoprinted earlier in the week, and I have added purple cord couched down, following (loosely) the designs in the printing, except in the pink part in the upper right corner, where I have added bright pink roving. A few faces and a word as accents, and that was enough, I decided. Sometimes less is more, right?

The rest of the piece of monoprinted fabric went to be backgrounds for these ATCs, which are unfinished - I have added some purple cord to them (as I had it out anyway) but not sure what will happen with them next - but as it's easy to make some backgrounds to have ready when you are doing something else, I decided to try to make a policy of doing that wherever it's sensible in my work. So now these will wait a while until I want to do something else with them. And again, they are much more purple and less blue than in the photo.

Lots of you added your advice or opinions about the binding for the log cabin quilt (thanks!) but in the end, I surprised myself by deciding that I really didn't like the purple around the edge - it was fine along the green bits, ok along the neutral, but I really disliked it along the purple corners. Not this one so much, but the darker ones - just looked bad. Which just goes to show the importance of auditioning fabrics for these things! I also tried some greens, but was uninspired. Perhaps a very dark green might have worked, but I wasn't really liking the whole green effect. So on to the neutrals - and indeed, what looked best was a dark neutral - dark beige, not quite taupe, but not too yellowy, a bit of that greyish cast which I associate with taupe. This photo doesn't show it brilliantly (I haven't hand-sewn it onto the back yet, so it's a bit hard to photograph), so you'll have to trust me that it was the right choice. Of course, once the binding is sewn down, I will show another photo!



And here's what else I have to show from today - two things received in the post - a "Q is for" postcard - a very different take on "Queen" than the other one I have but also nice. This is from Jeannette, and I particularly like what she's done with Freddie's hand and the crown. And the block is another birthday block, from Anne. Soon, I promise, I will take a photo of the ones I have so far, laid out together.

1 comment:

Tricks said...

Hi Kate,
Just took a little look at your mono prints. Yes it is so annoying when photos do not come out the same colour. I think that it is possible that you are right about lighting though.
I think it depends on whether the light is a warm one or a cool one. I could be wrong but my theory is that if you have a warm light it may make the red in the purple show more, or is it the other way round. Anyway. As purple has both a warm scale and a cold scale then it has to have something to do with what ever is brining out the blues rather than the reds. Just my theory.
I Love the vibrant colours and patterns in the prints. Regards Tricia