Monday, March 27, 2017

Block lotto blocks

A few blocks made for the block lotto this month - just snuck in under the wire at the end of the month. It's fun to play along, though.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Batik blocks

Made these blocks up into a top - a very long thin one. I'll add something along the sides later to make the size a bit better, but it's a nice pattern...

Friday, March 24, 2017

ATC Friday

Two more cards which were made using pre-made backgrounds, with bits and pieces from my stash added...

As you may be able to tell, I have a fondness for using lettering on cards!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Binding on

Another less thrilling job - making binding and putting it on a quilt, to be handstitched down. This is another wedding present, this one for a wedding in April, so I guess it's about time the binding was sorted! (It's not until late April, so I'm ok for time...)

Friday, March 17, 2017

ATC Friday

Two more cards made using pre-made backgrounds. Card and background both shown.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Backing ready to go

Very exciting sewing - a backing seamed together ready to go with a quilt to the longarmer. This will be a wedding present for a friend getting married this summer. Ok, not the most exciting bit of sewing ever - putting backing together - but an essential step towards a finished product. And the backing fabric is great.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

And finally...

Here's the second of the shirt quilts - the binding on this one is very similar to the other - only it's black rather than navy. These are heading off home this week, hurrah! I think the new owners will be really pleased with how they came out.

Friday, March 10, 2017

ATC Friday

Another few cards with pre-made backgrounds. It's really interesting to work with other people's backgrounds. Sometimes they are very sparse and easy to adapt to whatever you like to do.  In some cases, though, they are already very busy and are harder to work with.

This one is an example of that latter thing. The card is almost finished already, just needed a few touches...

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Sneaky peek

Well, today I worked on something I can't actually show (adding a round to the central block of a round robin), so I'll just show a selection of potential fabrics that I pulled out to work with. I only used a few of these in the end, so really, all you are getting is an idea of the colours I worked with.  Once the round robin is finished, I'll post photos of all the different rounds, including the block I sent and what I received in return!

Friday, March 03, 2017

ATC Friday

A couple more cards where I was either given the background as a gift or received it in a swap. I added the other bits to make a finished card.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Block sets - March update

Here's another monthly update of my progress on working on my block sets. As we head into March, this is what I have waiting around. 

In February, these sets were used, made into tops: 
  •  8.5" aqua Roman stripe blocks (30) - made into two tops
  • 8" rail fence variation blocks (49) - I used 36 of these in one top, the others are still waiting (22)
  • 8" brown, pink, red bordered Red Riding Hood blocks (20)

And I sort of added a set this month - or rather, I transformed part of one set into another:

  • 34  of the 4" 3 patch blocks turned into bordered blocks, all bordered with novelty or multicolour prints. these will make 2 small tops, with two leftover blocks

Here's what's in my block stash now: 

 6.5x8.5" rectangular log cabin blocks (90)
  8" rail fence variation blocks (48)
8" string blocks (90);
8.5" batik chunky pinwheels (18)
6x9" birds on blue sky background (42)
4" 3 patch blocks (2 squares, one rectangle) (121) - these will almost certainly have something else done to them before being used;
12" circular flying geese blocks (9)
4.5" Christmas four patch (84)
8" novelty bordered 3 patch blocks (34)

Here's what my collection looked like last month: