Sunday, May 11, 2008

Bag, birthday blocks, winner



So, I have a busy week coming up - I know, I've said it before - and a list of things I intend to work on, so the logical thing to do is spend my sewing hour or so making a new bag, right? Of course! I have lots of tote bags and shopping bags, those aren't really a problem, but my standard shoulder bag/handbag is just a little too small, especially in the summer, when I want to carry a glasses case for my sunglasses/glasses (whichever I'm not wearing at the time). Everything fits, but it's cramped. Plus, although it has a little outside pocket, no inside pockets, which isn't perfect.

So I've been thinking for a while that it would be much more sensible to simply make something the right size than to continue to look around for the mythical "perfect bag" - we all know it's out there somewhere, if only we can find it - right? Of course! Anyway. Here's what I came up with - a simple shoulder bag (or in my case - across the chest bag - I like to cross mine so it doesn't fall off my shoulder all the time - consequently I need a long strap - another setback in the search for the perfect bag). The outer fabric is a stripe I really like, the lining is a solid - two pockets, one for my phone, one for my keys, and a big button with a button hole fastening which is slightly too big, and which I will adjust tomorrow or so. Luckily, I had some strapping which Karol-Ann sent to me, so I used that rather than make a strap (which means, much quicker to make, as well).

And here you have a bonus picture of me, with the bag on my shoulder - not the best photo of me, but it's a bit weird trying to take a photo of yourself in a mirror and get the angles right. And, as promised, a photo of the birthday blocks I have received to date - no idea what I'm going to do yet, as I am going to receive a lot more of them before this is through. But aren't they pretty?



Well, duh - posted this, then realised I forgot to put the info about the giveaway winner in it - I did draw the winner before, just got distracted and forgot to say that it's number 8, Jenna Z - congrats, Jenna. Send me your address (katelnorth at yahoo dot com) and I'll post them off to you...

8 comments:

sewkalico said...

Great bag. Glad the strapping came in useful. Lovely blocks they really zing!

Papoosue said...

Mmm, like the bag, Kate - it suits you too. I have the same problem with straps and I always have to have a zip too (I'm big on security!). I keep meaning to make one.....

Toni said...

The birthday blocks are going to be soo much fun to put into a top! I bet you are tickled!

Nice bag! I want to "design" a nice bag that will support my 17" laptop, I can't find a bag for the darn huge thing!

Jenna Z said...

Oh, wowsers! Just emailed you! I'm so excited to put this together!

artisbliss said...

That's a wonderful bag, and I love the colorful quilt blocks.

atet said...

Love the bag -- and I know just what you mean about looking for the perfect one. My favorite purse is getting a bit ratty -- I'm thinking I'm going to use it as a pattern for a new cloth one :0).

Anonymous said...

Love the birthday blocks Kate, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with for them.

Anonymous said...

Lovely bag! Nice to see you too :)