Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Little trees & nine-patches


So today I actually had lots of time to sew - this is because Cathi and Geoff took the kids off to the swimming pool this afternoon and I elected to stay home and sew. First I put together the nine-patch blocks which I had cut out the squares for yesterday. And then I decided to make something to try out Cathi's new Big Foot quilting foot in case I wanted to get one - I have to say, I like it - I think it would be quite useful particularly at the edges of things and where there are lots of seam joins - also, probably if I was doing quilting over pieces which were just fused down or thrown on top of a surface - the size of the foot helps keep stuff from getting stuck underneath. I might get on - it's not at the very top of my gadget list, but I will certainly look and see...
The tree piece will be finished off later tonight - just needs a small binding attached - the piece is only about 6x17 inches - I think they were 6 inch squares to start, though I didn't measure them, just grabbed them out of Cathi's scrap basket. It will be given as a gift to someone I know who is really into trees. I've put up a picture of the back of the piece so you can see the tiny quilting - which was fun, but I sure wouldn't want to do it on a bed-sized quilt.
Tomorrow morning I am off to Cathi's knitting group with her - perhaps I will have some knitting pictures to share!

6 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Those trees are really something!

Anonymous said...

If it's the big purple one that says "Big Foot" on the side I have broken 2, my friend has broken 2, and then my boss has had hers forever with no problems. For $25 US I would expect it top last longer!

Vicki W said...

I love the trees!

Doreen K. said...

Sounds like you are having a good time. Love the trees. Is that FMS.
Haven't tried that yet.

Anonymous said...

The trees are wonderful, and your quilting is just...WOW!!!

artisbliss said...

I love the trees!