Wednesday, June 04, 2008

ALQS progress

Today I attached the binding to the Spring Fling Round Robin which I quilted the other day. It still needs to be sewn down, but it will be done soon. I decided to go with lower left (I think) as the correct way up - Margaret, who attached the directional border, told me which way up she designed it, so I thought it was only fair to go with that version...

I also laid out all the diamonds for the quilt I am making for my friend Caroline's sister - several times. I eventually found a layout I like, and starting stitching them together. As that was desperately boring I also dug out the ALQS which was last seen in this state and started doing stuff to it. I cut, sewed, attached and eventually, when I got completely bored of the diamonds, quilted. And came up with this:




Here's the front, all quilted, and the back, which shows the quilting a little better. I was very pleased with the way this came out, in particular, the gingko leaves (see below) which I quilted in about 5 or 6 places. I really like the shape - I might have to work out some kind of continuous pattern using them. In this piece, which is approx 16x20, I have just done them as is, and quilted around them, rather than trying to add them into any sort of continuous quilting pattern - as it is a wallhanging and not likely to be washed frequently (if ever) I just did tiny stitches at the stops and starts rather than burying ends, so having the leaves not attached isn't really a problem.





Here's the diamond quilt - did I mention that sewing all these diamonds together is boring? Now I remember why I don't like one-patch type quilt tops.

And here's something I got in the post - a little mini quilt from Anne - in "mud and sand" colours (her words, not mine) - I love it, of course, and have found it a nice little wall to hang on in the upstairs hallways. In return, I will be sending her a collection of spots and dots fabrics - I have got them all cut and stacked today and just need to get them in the post tomorrow.

And also in the post today - these Japanese fat eights from my Just Japanese fabric club, and a Q postcard - Q is for Quarterback - an American football position.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

well doen with eth diamonds. I did a king sized kaffe Faset fabric one patch with diamonds for my husbnad. Never ever again. I didn't do a single row without having to redo some. maybe because I was watching videos at the same time to relieve the boredom!

Unknown said...

You've been tagged. See my blog post for today. Playing is voluntary.

Helen in the UK said...

The Round Robin quilt is very interesting and I love what you did with the quilting - very creative :)

Ruth's Place said...

The diamonds look great, and I love the RR

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.