Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer mini and more




What I did today, mostly, was to work on this summer mini - I played around for quite a while working out how I wanted to do the flowers - I tried white on white fabrics first, but they were too heavy, so I decided to play with sheers instead - I tried sewing them and turning them inside out, but didn't like the effect, so I used two layers of sheers but cut them out using my little soldering iron to hold them together around the edges and stop fraying. I did the same with the vase; the stems are bias strips in the same fabric as the window sashing. At the moment, the floral arrangement is just resting on top of the quilt, as I haven't quite finished quilting it yet, but they will at some point be attached - loosely, in the case of the flower heads. I am really pleased with how this is turning out, if I do say so myself.




And I got some nice stuff in the post today as well - on the left, a lovely garden-esque tag from Susan - we swapped - I sent her some ATCs and got this in return - I surely got the better end of that deal. And on the right, from Jen, a lovely lollipop flower as a thank you for hostessing the ALQS - how cool is that? It's only tidgy (and I don't mean that in a bad way - I like tidgy, and anyway, that means I can easily display it in my upstairs hallway with my little tidgy heart quilt from Anne...



And two sets of block lotto blocks - from Pat K and Erin. Only a few more sets to go and then I will have to think of what to do with them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh wow! I like that!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a creative use for sheer fabrics...I really like how it turned out.

Totty Teabag said...

Now why didn't I think of that you Clever Woman! I have a little soldering iron I use for cutting stencils; I should give it a go on some bits from my rag-bag...

Di said...

How effective that is. Love the way the window shows through the vase. Brilliant ideas as usual. clever lady!

Ruth's Place said...

The sheer flowers are very cool!

artisbliss said...

Ack! The 'f' in 'fleur' slipped! You should be able to peel it up and glue it straight. Sorry about that!!