Thursday, June 05, 2008

Anyone for teacups?



So, today's round up. This morning was my little quilt group - every other Thursday morning - we drank coffee, ate some cake and worked a little on the little nine patch. Then I went down to Garson's Farm - a somewhat local Pick Your Own farm - where I picked the last of the asparagus, and the first of the broad beans, strawberries and peas. Yum. Amazingly enough, I did have some time to try a little work, but I'm not happy with it. I saw this pattern (left) in a magazine and thought it might make a nice Summer Four Seasons Quilt (or rather, the basis for one - the quilt is too big) . The teacup blocks in the original are 6" blocks, so i thought I'd try to reduce them to 4 inches - but I wasn't happy with the proportions or the handles - I couldn't use bias handles as in the original, as the blocks were too small and the bias strips wouldn't turn enough in the space. So I dunno. I might try some with different handles. Or I might try them at 6 inches - they clearly work in that size. Or I might try something totally different.



And here's what I got in the post - my first set of Buckeye Beauty Lotto Blocks, these from Laurie T, and a postcard from Carina, as a thank you for something she won in my blog giveaway - totally unnecessary, of course, but that's ok with me.

5 comments:

atet said...

The teacups idea is fun -- and there's no reason why a 6" block can't work for the swap. Personally, I have no idea WHAT I'm going to do for summer, but I'd better decide quickly!!! UGH. Love the goodies you brought back from Ireland -- and I'm really giggling about the amount of yarn you brought back. Addict indeed.

Clare said...

They're wonky tea cups! Personally I can't see anything wrong with them, but then again our quilting styles are completely different. PYO - miss it! There used to be a huge PYO place at Ockley, near Dorking. Don't know if it is still there.

Joyce said...

I like the teacups. I have made two teacup quilts, one pieced and one fused. If I were doing them again there are things I'd change on both of them.

Mom said...

I like the pattern though it doesn't scream summer to me :-)

Unknown said...

Teacups sound super to me. It's the only thing I drink and would look great in my kitchen, too. Kinda like the smaller wonky ones, so don't give up on them.
Your yarn stash is making me want to knit more socks. I'm working on a scarf for Afghanistan ladies at the moment, and it seems soooo long. Like the quick socks in crazy colors better.