Saturday, June 21, 2008

A day at the quilt show

I went to Sandown Quilt Show today (aka The National Quilt Championships) and saw a good handful of very nice quilts, along with plenty others which were worth looking at - which was a nice improvement on the last few years, when I thought the number of outstanding quilts at the show was really falling off... Anyway, although I took a lot of pictures for myself, I am not going to show them to you, because of the whole copyright thing.

Instead, I shall show you what I bought...



A small amount of fabric - on the left, 4 FQs from a 1.25 bin; on the right, the three red FQs are for a specific project (a small inner border on the pineapple quilt) and the back three pieces are half metre pieces from a different sale bin - £2.50 each. I can't remember what the red FQs cost, but as they were for a specific purpose (I even took a swatch to colour match), I don't really care.

The right hand picture is some bits - some mulberry bark, some interesting silk fabric, some sari silk ribbons, flower ribbon, some other bit of ribbon or trim...



And here's the rest of it - the pink stuff is little shavings of metal, but very soft; the other things are buttons and charms. One of the sets of buttons has a potential purpose - one of the blocks for the new round of the birthday swap has an African theme, and the buttons have an African theme. If I don't use them for that, I'll find something else for them, of course. And on the right some thread. Mostly variegated, but the green is for the stems of the plants. One of the variegated threads was a great find - robin's egg blue and brown together - which is great, as I have a swap for quilties in those colours coming up shortly. Glad I didn't start on them yet! And some needles, both machine and hand.

In all, a pretty restrained day, I think.





And here's what I got in the post today - silver & gold from Myla and a birthday block from Jeanne.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Great stuff! I love those threads - I ahve the black one and I love it!

Cda00uk said...

I also thoguht there were more interesting quilts at Sandown than there have been for a while - especially amongst the journal quilts.

I was even more restrained than you - 2 books, some ribbon - oh and a sewing machine - perhaps not that restrained after all ...