Monday, June 02, 2008

Which way up?



OK, yes, it's four photos of the same thing - I have quilted the Spring Fling Round Robin. But now I'm not sure which is the top. Every time someone works on it and shares a photo, it seems to be a different way up. So, what do you guys think - which is the top? At the moment, I am leaning towards top right, but I dunno, I could change my mind. Opinions welcome, before I put the label on the back - luckily, the binding (I haven't decided what to use yet anyway) doesn't have a direction, so I can do that first.

I have to admit, this top really made me nervous - there's no obvious way to quilt it - I wanted to emphasise some of the shapes, but they don't extend into the outer border - and the centre is so geometric. In the end, I did a spiral in the middle (which I later decided I hated and took out, replacing it with something different - see below) then chose a few shapes to emphasise, like the blue wave and the blue triangle shape and quilted those first, then filled in around them in a combination of waves, large pointy leaf shapes (like in the outer border fabric) and other various shapes. I used a bright blue silk thread and a medium brown rayon thread.


If I had to quilt it again it would probably end up completely different. But I think it's ok.

Also finished the July bag challenge testing today - I like the bag a lot, but of course, I can't show it until July. I'll try to remember when July rolls around...

But here is something else I CAN show you - this block arrived from Grace today for the birthday block swap - it's gorgeous, isn't it? And she sent me the book on the right as a hostess gift - obviously I have made a lot of fabric postcards in my time, but I've never seen this book, and also, it focuses on landscapes, which is something I do not do a lot of, due to lack of confidence about making them come out right, so it's a perfect present - and really sweet of her to send it. I'm so pleased!

16 comments:

Vicki W said...

I don't know why but I like the upper left one.

Anonymous said...

I like the top right one, lol!! You are just too productive!!! I've managed to mark my little wallhanging today, and that is about it!

AmyB said...

I like either of the two on the right better... (and Grace's block is a treasure).

Unknown said...

It turned out beautiful! love the colors....Melinda

Betty Donahue said...

As long as it doesn't have an obvious direction, does it matter?

artisbliss said...

I love the quilting in this piece. The elongated curving lines pull your eyes around the piece. Great.

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt, wonderful colours and quilting.

Anonymous said...

I like the top left best - we seem to be split down the middle, so not much help!

Anonymous said...

I like the top right, and I'm gobsmacked by your quilting.

Shelly said...

I like lower left due to the orange blobs being in a nice pattern. It's off balance with just 3 blobs so the missing one should be at the top or bottom. Just my opinion, the quilt is beautiful no matter what. If it can't be resolved can you put the label in the dead center?

Mom said...

I designed the 2nd border so that the bottom left image is sitting as it would on a wall. I SO wish this was coming my way now!!

Unknown said...

It doesn't havea right way. Stop fretting!

True Debreuil said...

I agree with the top right one although they all look fine. I always find the decision on how to quilt something the most difficult part.kxk

Julie said...

Yep, I agree, top right. The diagonal quilting and the upright leaves and feather (?) make it look right that way round.

I haven't seen that book before either. (Quick trip to amazon now called for).

Sarah Nopp said...

I am on round 3 for my Round Robin, but we don't get to post pictures! (I am whiiiiining) I am thinking it is time to add some quiet to this one as the center and other borders are pretty busy. Such a stretch of cretaivity!

suzietee said...

I think they all look great. I love the color combinations and especially that orange.