Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quilted - already!





Well, hey, look what I did today! Not only did I start quilting the third Hawaiian quilt, I actually finished it as well - this one is for my brother and sister-in-law. I did a basic sort of pointy meaner with some waves thrown in. I did have an entire day's quilting time, with very few interruptions (other than a grocery delivery and a load of washing to hang out) besides my standard email breaks to stretch my arms and back. But still, I didn't expect to finish. When the kids got home from school (a friend does the collection on Wed & Thursday, most of the time) I had about 18 inches square left to go, so I just kept at it. Which was ok, although I have decided that helpers are not really all that helpful when trying to free motion quilt. Especially small boy helpers who keep wanting to hug you without warning while you are quilting. But who can resist small boy hugs? Not me, that's for sure...

Now I just need to get the binding sewn down on the second quilt and get it in the post - and then it will be the turn of this one. And after that, one more to go - my own one - though I have a few things on the agenda to be quilted before that one, I think.

11 comments:

AmyB said...

Gosh, Kate -- that's lovely -- the quilting really shows up in the chambray-colored areas, and looks beautiful.

rlbates said...

I agree with amyb, Kate. The quilt is really lovely.

Vicki W said...

That makes up for the day you missed! I jsut love all of these quilts - I can imagine how much they will be cherished.

Gina said...

What great quilting. Well done on getting it all done in one day.

love and hugs xxx

Unknown said...

These quilts from your dad's clothes are such a wonderful way to keep him near for all your family and they look so lovely even without the special connection

sewkalico said...

Well done Kate! It's awesome. How wonderful to have those boy hugs! (and all that time to quilt too)

loulee said...

Wow great quilting.

I also find un announced hugs from little boys are the best, very difficult to say no to, but exasperating when trying to quilt.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks fab...bet it will be well loved and appreciated.

Helen in the UK said...

Well done Kate!! You're doing a great job on these quilts :)

tea and cake said...

Hi, I've arrived here from I don't know where! But, I just wanted to let you know I think this post is lovely! Warm and funny - the quilt but mostly the little boy helper hugs. Awe!

Ruth's Place said...

Looks fabulous - love the red squares.