Sunday, June 08, 2008

Minis, minis, everywhere



So today I did manage to get quite a lot accomplished, despite the lure of a very sunny lovely day outside (well, I did take the kids to the park in the morning for a little while - Alex was practicing riding his bike - he's better about using the brakes to stop (instead of running into stuff) but he's still not great at steering, so every time he begins to go off course a little, he brakes. It's cute, but a little annoying for those of us who have to start him up again every time). I finished the mini quilt for my own swap (ALQS), though there is still a label to be attached; I also worked on the revised teacups which I like a lot better. Next step is to do some sort of flower arrangement in front of the teacups, I think. We'll see. The piece has a mitred border and a mitred flange - which is a new one for me - it really wanted to have the flange, but it also wanted to be mitred, so I gave it a go - it works ok, though it's a little thick at the seams. The colour is not quite true in the photo, it's a little brighter, but it's not far off.



I also finished the silver & gold cards, and my journal quilt from yesterday - the cards use the leftover bits of mylar (or whatever it was) which I used in combination with my May bag to create an insulated lining as the background, and then have some ribbon and a few bits on them. I quilted the mylar in gold (well, it's kind of yellow, but close enough) with a kind of flame design - I started to add lots of bits and pieces, but in the end, my DD1, Sarah, was right when she said that the best part was the flame design and I should make that the focus (she didn't say it in quite those words, but as it happens, she was right).

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

You have gotten a lot accomplished! I love the coffee mugs and the silver/gold cards and journal are very cool.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

We're teaching my DD" to ride a bike too...it's going to be a looong summer and a bad back getting her to ride...but we'll get there ;o)

Anonymous said...

Love the cups too! I keep wanting to say Coffee cups but you called them tea cups. (You can tell the coffee drinkers)!

artisbliss said...

You've been productive as always. I like the teacups quilt--I have a collection of teacups.