Saturday, February 09, 2008

Journal Quilt Week 12 & more




Two things I did today - the first was a 6 inch square (well, it's 7 at the moment, as I think I will do quilt as you go and then join them up) with a colour wheel in the middle - this will be the intial piece for a project with my dyeing group - a nesting round robin, with a combination of themes and colour harmonies, over the course of the year. I will do each step in a six inch square and join them together at some point in the year. I am also going to do six inch squares for a year long challenge with my surface embellishment group (which is an offspring of the dyeing group), where we are supposed to use a variety of different techniques throughout the year - the techniques are Angelina, Discharge, Fibres/yarn, Foils, Metal, Paintsticks, Sheers, Silk Fusion, Tyvek/Lutradur. I don't know which one I will do first, but it won't be silk fusion, as that's the only one I have never tried before at all, and I need to do some research into it and maybe try it out before attempting anything real with it.




I also decided to do my journal quilt for the week with a similar theme - not quite a colour wheel, but a pieced line gradating from one colour of the wheel to the next. And a black background, of course.







Then I worked on these some more (they have appeared here before, though I think it's been a while) - they are nearly done - there are 35 of them - I have begun to connect them together. I've been accumulating the fabric for this project for ages, and have the intention of doing a piece for a friend who likes shoes, as a 40th birthday present. It recently occurred to me that the occasion was in May, and I should perhaps get a move on. The blocks aren't hard to make, but they are a little more time consuming than some blocks because of the mitres - they can't be chain pieced in the normal way. Once the final three or four blocks are together, joining them will be quick. I don't quite know how I'm going to quilt it yet, but something will come to me, I imagine. Maybe a meander with handbags in it? Will have to sketch a bit.






Got some nice post today - these charms arrived from Julie in Australia (I bought them from her etsy shop) - I think they will be fun to work with - and I like the way she packaged them with the extra little buckle. If you remember my fabulous PIF notebook, that was from Julie.




And these two items - the block on the left is for the Orange swap, from Debbie - it was an interesting coincidence to get post from Debbie as I have been thinking of her as she lives in one of the towns in Arkansas which was recently hit by tornadoes - luckily, she has posted on one of the online forums that she and her family are ok. Another quilter in the same town who I also have swapped with had her house badly damaged, but luckily, she and her family are ok. I have to say, I'm glad to live in a place not badly affected by tornadoes - or hurricanes, or monsoons, or other things like that.


And the postcard on the right is for the black and white and one other colour swap, from Jovita - yes, it's belated, but she has been off the group for a while for personal reasons, so it's nice to have her back swapping. The card didn't photograph brilliantly - too much glare off the white I guess.

3 comments:

atet said...

As always, the projects you are working on look like such fun! Love those dyed pieces of fabric (really, I do need to try that out some day!) -- and the two quilts with binding on! Ok, I'm feeling a bit like a piker -- need to get back to work!

artisbliss said...

Beautiful color wheel blocks. They really show off your dyeing to good advantage. I admire anyone who has the patience for traditional quilting, because I don't have it. I come from a long line of quilters via my mother's family and have some antique quilt blocks in the Dresden Plate pattern made by my Great Grandmother Maggie Glendening, who I never met. Maybe I'll have to do something with them at some point.

Anonymous said...

The shoe boxes look great!