Monday, February 04, 2008

Blue flowery arch

Before I talk about today's work, I'll just answer a question from Lizzie, whose comments post as no reply... She asked whether the postcards I receive come as they are or in envelopes - the answer is, a little of each. I get a lot of them, and send most of mine, with no plastic sleeve or envelope. Some do come through in clear sleeves, especially those with fragile embellishments, but you'd be surprised what makes it through with no damage "naked".


And now, today. Yes, a new month, and time for a new arch. This arch is for Hannah, who listed among her likes blues, greens, turquoise and nature. The base of the arch is a piece of hand-dyed fabric, with a large number of skeleton leaves attached with free motion quilting (mostly a meander with a few leaves and flowers thrown in). I then attached the flowers - the stems are bits of an old embossed postcard, coloured with Treasure Gold in Emerald, the large flowers are thin wooden stick-ons from the scrapbooking & cardmaking supply section of my local haberdashery - I don't scrapbook and I don't do a huge amount of card-making (in the paper-craft sense) but boy do I love all the embellishments available! The edging is a piece of ribbon folded over the side of the arch and stitched down; I then added some eyelash yarn along the outside edge with a blind hem stitch. I'm very happy with how this arch came out - hope Hannah will like it. The main problem with this swap is having to give the arches away...

11 comments:

Vicki W said...

maybe you should make two of each so you can keep one for yourself. I really like this one. Very calming and peaceful!

Myra said...

Kate that is just lovely. I always make enough of my postcards so I can keep one for myself.

gunnelsvensson said...

I really like these! Beautiful! Yes, the scrapbooking stores have so much fun thing!
I wish I have done an extra of all my postcards and ATC I have trade, I don´t have any for myself! So do an extra!

Penny said...

I havent dropped in for a while and boy are you productive, you make me feel tired! I really like the arches you are doing.

Anonymous said...

I really like this one!

Angela said...

Your flower arch is very pretty, I agree with the other comments something about it is very calming to look at

Purple Missus said...

I was thinking how I really like this one Kate, then the words 'Treasure Gold' jumped off the page at me - and I knew then why I liked it so much.:)
I can understand you being reluctant to give it away, I would too. Its very good.

artisbliss said...

I know what you mean about using scrapbooking supplies for other than scrapbooking. They're great. I don't even want to think of the $$ I've dropped at the scrapbook store.

atet said...

Those arches are just too much fun. I would be seriously tempted not to give them away!

bubdy said...

I love your work. I read your blog every day or every couple of days yours is my favorite.

Julie said...

This is a beautiful card Kate. I'm sure Hannah will love it.