Sunday, February 17, 2008

Box of hand-dyes



So, here are two things - they are going to be part of a box - I am making one to hold my journal quilt pages. The left hand one will be a box side, the right hand one will be a front or back - it's actually square, though you might not be able to tell that from the photo. Both are pieces of hand-dyed fabric from my stash, which means that either I dyed them, or that they were from a swap with my dyeing group. I have a feeling it will take a while to get all the box sides together, but at least it's a start.

I meant to do another side today, but in the end, didn't, and instead just did some more quilting on the batik baby quilt (no photo). And I attached some binding to this little quilt, which has been hanging around for ages simply waiting for a binding - so I sewed it on this afternoon and sewed it down this evening, and have now listed it in my etsy shop. (New goal - list at least one thing a week in my shop, even if it's only a postcard.)

After lunch I helped Olivia make a pencil roll (my life is all pencil rolls these days). She actually did almost all of it herself (I did the bit where you sew the side seam up while putting the tying ribbon inside. More patience than Sarah, who gave up after about 5 of the pencil divisions.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hand-dyed fabrics, very cool. The pencil roll looks great too.

Janet said...

Love reading your blog Kate! Have you done a tutorial on how you make the pencil rolls? I would love to make some for my son and some of his friends that are studying art at school and college.
Janet x

artisbliss said...

I love your hand-dyes, Kate. I must get the old dye buckets out again myself sometime soon. I've been wanting to dye some silk velvet for ribbons lately. Your blog is very inspiring.