Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sarah's sudoku quilt and a bag


Pardon my knees there in the picture... These two blocks were made not by me, but by DD1, Sarah, who decided that today was a good day to start her quilt for Sandown quilt show (June). She's doing a sudoku style quilt - nine fabrics, all arranged so no same fabric is in the same row, etc. Like the puzzles. These are two of the nine sashed nine-patch blocks. She was a little annoyed at me by the end of the session as I insisted that we redo the blocks in a couple of places where the sashing was badly misaligned (a little mis-alignment is fine - she's 10, after all - but she has lazy tendencies and hates to pin things & I'm trying to teach her that being careful in the first place is better than re-doing...)

The other thing I did today was to make a bag - this is like a plastic carrier bag, except it's fabric, and it folds up into the outside pocket to make a little parcel. I intend to keep it in the panniers of my bike (might make another one as well) as I frequently forget to take bags out with me when on my bike (the car is fine as there are loads of bags in the boot). Obviously I can put purchases in my panniers, but getting them from the shop to where I've parked the bike can be a challenge...
Anyway, this bag is the first in the 2008 BQL (British Quilt List) Bag Challenge - each month there will be a new bag pattern for us to make (if we've made the previous one) - if you don't finish on time, you miss out on new patterns until you are finished. But potentially, there are 12 possible bags to make & collect. I am a co-moderator of this list, so I get sneak peeks on some of the bags, and may well make some out to test the instructions, etc, but I won't be showing them here until the actual month they appear. By the end of the year, I imagine I'll have more bags than I know what to do with (Christmas pressies for 2008?). [By the way, this one isn't breaking the embargo - it was give out early as a Christmas present!]

9 comments:

antique quilter said...

I found teaching my own girls to sew is hard sometimes ! Amazing how they don't want to listen to us but their friends soak in each word we say!
Her quilt idea is great though! I love the bag you made . I just signed up for the yahoo group. Would love to make the bag each month as well as learn more about British quilt history.
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Sarah's quilt is looking great. She has a good eye for colour.

Angela said...

Sarah's quilt looks lovely. I'm hoping that it's not too late to join the BQL bag challenge, I love the fabric you have used to make yours!

Joyce said...

The sudoko quilt looks great. What a good idea. A person can never have too many shopping bags.

JustCindy said...

So glad to hear your daughter is interested in learning to quilt. I worry that the next generation will let quilting die. Love the bag and can't wait to see the others. I love bags!

Jenni said...

I have been a latecomer to the value of pins. I've always been a 'seat of the pants' type sewer, but I'm all for pins now when it comes to matching up corners etc. You can never have too many pins! Maybe your young quilter might need to learn the hard way, like me.

Julie said...

Your daughter's fabrics look very effective together. I love the colours and textures she has chosen.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Good looking bag. I've just finished mine..well you'll see it both on BQL and my blog.

TTFN

atet said...

Love that bag! As for the blocks your daughter made -- beautiful. I'm sure she won't be too scarred by the do overs! (just kidding -- it's an important lesson to learn that a bit more time taken now means less time later!)