Sunday, December 16, 2007

Let it snowflake...



Well, I actually got a chance to do some sewing today. First thing I did was finish up the 1950's postcards (1953 - discovery of the structure of DNA) so that they can go out on Monday. Then I decided to work on the winter quiltlet. I picked 9 snowflakes to us, and sewed them together. I was going to use invisible thread to sew the snowflakes down (as they are only bonded on) but I was having tension problems with it on my machine when free-machining, so I decided to just quilt over each of them enough to hold it, instead. The edges are still raw, but as it's a wall-hanging, it should be fine.

At this point, I have quilted 5 of the snowflakes - the centre and the four that aren't the corners. When I finish all the snowflakes themselves, I will put some smaller snowflakes in the four central intersections of the blocks as well and maybe SITD around the blocks - I'll see what I think it needs at that point. Here are two of the blocks in closeup - I am just winging it, based on the design of each snowflake. Not sure how I will bind it yet, I think in a colour, but not sure what. Maybe the red snowflake fabric. I'm very happy with the progress, though I could have done without the 15 minutes fiddling with the tension on my machine before I decided to abandon the FMQ with invisible thread. (I hate wasted time.)

6 comments:

Colene said...

The snowflakes are so cute! Mind if I snitch your idea, and use it myself for something?

Myra said...

I love the snowflakes. That is going to be a very pretty wallhanging. The DNA is a wonderful idea for the cards too!

Anonymous said...

Very nice snowflakes so delicate, I love the little quiltlet.

Karen

Joyce said...

The snowflakes look beautiful. Much better than my feeble attempt. Wanna pop over here and give me a couple of lessons?

JustCindy said...

Love the snowflake quiltlet

Anonymous said...

Very cool snowflakes!