Sunday, December 02, 2007

Let it snow...



Today I mostly made...snowflakes. You probably worked that out. These are all about 7 inch blocks, with snowflakes, cut out of fabric (most of which has snowflakes on it as well, but not all of it) in the same way you make paper snowflakes, though not with as much detail, as of course fabric is much thicker to cut through (I iron bondaweb on first, keeping the paper on, and fold the snowflake with the paper side out - it's easier to cut that way). These will get put together into a small top, which will then be quilted in some fashion - I'm thinking it may involve (this will shock you) - snowflakes. Then I may or may not embellish it further. The finished quilt will actually do dual duty - it will be my challenge piece for my new challenge quilts group, and it will be the quilt for my swap partner for the Four Seasons Quilt swap - coincidentally, both have the current theme of "winter". It's not often one piece can tick two boxes, so who am I to pass that opportunity up?

Just double checked the size requirements for Four Seasons, and it's a max of 20" square, so I will be losing 3 snowflakes. Hmm, will have to think of something else to do with them!

I also edged a number of postcards today - finished the three leaves ones and edged half a dozen or so Christmas postcards - slowly getting there. Tomorrow there won't be much chance to work, but hopefully I will be able to at least edge a few PCs and make some inchies. I think I've got about an hour between yoga and being back at school to sort stuff out for the Christmas fair - such an exciting life I lead! But at least I have my advent calendar, and of course, the Monday giveaway - and it's another Christmas theme, though in a different way... (I know, I'm a tease)

7 comments:

Julie said...

Oops! i was going to ask how you cut a snowflake out then I re-read your post! Doh! Maybe I'll give it a go.

JustCindy said...

I really like the snowflakes.

Unknown said...

These remind me of that lovely thing that did the rounds of the internet where you could make your own snowflakes - I wish I'd kept the link for that it kept the kids (and me) amused for ages.

atet said...

Lovely snowflakes -- as for the "extra" three blocks, I'm seeing -- wait -- I'm seeing a, a, table runner. Yes, yes, a table runner -- with quilted, um, snowflakes? (just trying to practice my mind reading skills).

Joyce said...

I love your snowflakes. I may have to do some for my winter quilt. Thanks for the heads up about having the web to the outside.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What nice snow flakes. Are you going to finish the edges or is it heat 'n bond ultra? I like the colours you've used...really nice!

AmyB said...

Gorgeous, Kate -- Love those snowflakes. I might have to try that...