Wednesday, April 09, 2008

All in a morning's work



Although we had plans today, they were for lunch and the afternoon with friends, so the morning was free. Luckily for me, the children decided that what they really wanted to do with their morning was lounge around in their pyjamas (not something we do much of in this house), watch rubbish on telly and then play on the computers. Which, frankly, seemed fair enough as this is the third day of the holiday and so far, they've had to get up and get started in the mornings due to long lists of things to be done, and will have to do so again tomorrow and Friday. And probably Monday. And Thursday next week. The fact that this meant I was likely to be able to get an hour or two's sewing in had nothing to do with my decision to encourage such sloth. (Sure it didn't.)

Anyway. I got the binding attached to the Four Seasons Quilt - now to stitch it down, do the label, and get it in the post - deadline is 1 May, so plenty of time for that, but I'd like to get it off before we go up to Geoff's mum's next week, just to have it out of the way. Still, it should only take me one evening to do the binding - the quilt is only 20" square (well, technically, I think it's 22" - hopefully that will be ok). And I also finished up some more little double four patches in the taupe/Japanese fabrics. I think that's 28 or so done; I need 75, so it will be a while before I get to the assembly stage. And as I have a number of other things with deadlines coming up, it may get put to the side, but it's a good project for the moment as it can be done in very small amounts, so is good if you keep getting interrupted.

One of the the things I have to think about is a new commission (yes, a paid one) - the sister of friend who I made a quilt for was very taken with it, and has asked if I'd make her something. After explaining that I was happy to make her something but that a)it wouldn't be just like the one I made Caroline and b)quilts cost money, she's still happy to commission, so I am happy to make, though luckily, she knows it won't be right away. I've potentially another commission in the wings as well, once I get my Hawaiian shirt quilts finished, so I'm very pleased about that. And slightly nervous, as one always is, I think, with commissions. I won't be really working on this quilt for my friend's sister just yet, but ideas will be brewing in the back of my mind and I may have to acquire fabric (tragedy, I know).

And speaking of acquisitions, here's what came in the post today. Four more pineapples, from Sophie - two actually from her, and two which had slipped down behind a table and therefore didn't make it with the original batch. I need to go count how many I have - I know there are a few more on the way, but I think it's getting to the point where I will have to plan what I am going to do with them. And see how many more I need to make...

And the postcard is the final one from the fastenings swap, this one from Kandy, who has cleverly used hooks and eyes in her design - really pretty, isn't it! A fun swap, in all.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Congrats on the commissions :) Scary I know, I've done some painted ones. The postcard is lovely.

Sarah Nopp said...

That postcard is very nice. I am thinking I may just do postcards for Christmas. I stopped doing gifts for the most part, but little pastcards would be fun and not wasteful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the commissions! I'm sure whatever you come up with will be fabulous.

Love that postcard, very, very cool!

artisbliss said...

Commissioned work is a two-edged sword, I think. On one hand you're happy someone likes your work enough to pay you to do a piece for them, on the other it's nerve wracking hoping it'll meet their expectations. At least that's how I experience it.

Your four seasons looks just great, and I love the pineapple pattern.