Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A little more conversation (a little less action)


Didn't do quite so much today as I had originally hoped, as I had Alex home with impetigo - he feels totally well, but can't go to school, as it's highly contagious (to touch) - so they have to stay home until the sores are more crusted over, etc. Which means he probably won't go back until after the school holidays. The main problem with having him home is that he feels well - it's not like I would wish my child ill, but if he has to be home from school on a schoolday, it's a shame he can't have one of those illnesses which involve lying somewhat limply on the sofa and watching DVDs all day. Today it was all "mummy can we do this, mummy can we do that". It wasn't without its fun parts, but as they are all off school for the next two weeks starting Monday, it's not the best timing. Anyway. During part of the day, he played on the computer for a while and I made a quick escape upstairs to do these blocks for the mystery quilt I am doing. I also managed to pin together the Spring Four Seasons Quilt, though I didn't try to quilt it at all, as that's not the best thing to try to do when you are constantly being interrupted.


I received the above card in the post - it's for the fastenings swap and features a button, a popper/snap and a tie. I particularly like the fish fabric underneath the little window.




Then Alex and I decided to watch Dinosaur on video, or rather, he wanted my company while I watched it, so I grabbed my scrap basket, which is getting a little full, and decided to have a little bit of a sort-out while watching. Here's the before picture, and here's the after:

on the left is a pile of scraps I sent to school, some large pieces which have been folded for filing in a roper box and some strips for the strip basket. On the right is the inside of the basket now - there's not really that much less in there, but it's much neater and will consequently hold a lot more scraps before I have to really really empty it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found your blog through bmt (Just A hot Dog). Love it! All your crafty pics really give me motivation!

Shelina said...

I hope your son is better soon. I know what you mean about the kinds of illnesses children get - the kind where they stay home and have energy just seems wrong. You did a great job cleaning out your scrap basket. You're welcome to come on over and do mine. When I am cutting out fabric for the SITP quilt, I am cutting 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 strips, so yours look very familiar.

atet said...

Hope your son is better sooner rather than later :0) (and I know exactly what you mean about the illness thing). Love the mystery blocks as well as the fasteners -- as for the scraps. Um, yeah. I need to do something about mine at some point. Notice how committed I am to that statement.

Ruth's Place said...

I hope Alex feels better soon. That new postcard you received is adorable, the fish are fabulous. I'm cutting scraps at the moment too.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, the children "shared" impetigo in January and it nearly drove me to desperation. The weather was bad and we were quaranteened indoors with each of them being tetchy as they were so bored. I am onine this morning as I have no school run to do as my eldest is ill, and I too am thinking why oh why before the holidays!
Your lovely scrap basket is putting my over stuffed plastic bag to shame...

sewkalico said...

I can't wait for school to start here! Hope he's better soon, poor chap.

artisbliss said...

Poor Alex. Dylan is getting over tonsillitis at home but at least he feels like being quiet. Impetigo is one of "those" diseases that does nothing toward making children want to stay in bed! Seems like you're forging ahead with your quilting in spite of it all, though.

McIrish Annie said...

I think I need to resubscribe to you on bloglines because you are coming to me in BLOBS! like 10 posts at a time. Anyway, I loved your little Journal quilt. What a great idea to use all your received bits, thanks for the shout-out!

and now i must scold you for pointing out the nickel mystery quilt. I have now started yet another project!LOL

Finally, my late condolences on quilt pinning. I detest it! but it's nice that you had a little helper. Have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the cards from the fastening swap they are so inventive.