Friday, April 04, 2008

Lovely post...




...just as well this came in the post, as I didn't get a chance to do any quilting or sewing today - I did manage to catch up on some email and do some laundry and change 3 of the 5 beds (Alex has bunk beds - we don't always change both sets of sheets but the last few weeks he has been sometimes sleeping on top, sometimes on bottom) - but no sewing. However, I did get this in the post, which I think WALKED here from South Africa (it came surface - took 2 months) from my friend Karol Ann. It contained a large piece of black and white fabric (the piece you can see is folded - there's lots of it) which will in time be overdyed in a variety of ways and some of it sent back to KA, three FQs of African prints and a large number of shwe shwe FQs - including one red one, which I have never seen before. The blue is the most common, and I have seen some brown ones, too, but not a red, which is good fun. And a string of seed beads - literally. Everything has now had a nice wash and hung out to dry in our one nice spring day before the weather goes to hell in a handbasket again.



I also got two postcards, one from Wendy for the fastenings swap, the other is a "P" is for Pansy card from Maureen. I think I know what I am going to do for my "P" cards now, as I was testing an idea out the other day - whenever it was I last had time to sew - and think it will work, with a little fiddling. Might get a chance to work on that tomorrow. I am also hoping to get my journal quilt done tomorrow morning - we have a busy day tomorrow, but the morning is just Sarah's tennis, so Geoff will take her to that and I should get a little time free. I should do fairly well with my goals, I think, maybe one thing not done, but given the suprises in the week, not too bad...

I also found out that Hedgehog is coming to London next week/week after so I am hoping we will be able to find a time to meet up - perhaps a trip to the V&A or a visit to Hampton Court Palace and the quilt shop around the corner. It may not be logistically possible, but it would be great if it worked out.


Finally, here's something I've actually finished - it was only a matter of sewing the binding down, but even that is done now - I guess it needs a label, hopefully I will be able to get that done this weekend so I can get the quilt off in the post next week some time. This is the first one, for my stepmom; the second one is the process of being quilted, though I don't know how much I'll get done on it in the next few weeks - a little, I hope. School holidays are always busy, though the kids will no doubt want at least one slumping-around-doing-nothing-watching-telly-all-day kind of days - and given the weather forecast, I should think they'll get at least one!

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love that black and white fabric! It's going to look awesome overdyed. Congrats on finishing the first quilt. Your StepMom is going to be thrilled.

sewkalico said...

So pleased the fabrics arrived AT LAST! The Hawaiian quilt looks fab and the blocks showcase the big prints so well..

Stephanie Pettengell said...

The African fabrics look brilliant, do you get to keep any. I love the way your blue blocks are looking, I hope mine turn out half as good.

Unknown said...

Your quilt turned out great...I love when they are finished! Then on to the next....Melinda

Hedgehog said...

I hope it works out, too!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen red shwe shwe either. How do you set the colours for the blue shwe shwe? I haven't been game to use it yet with all the reports of the dyes running.

Love the finished quilt!

Anonymous said...

Nice Kate the fabric looks very interesting but worth the two months wait.