Monday, August 11, 2008

The manhole cover quilt





Doesn't really look much like a manhole, does it... But perhaps you can see the inspiration (see yesterday's post, if you're lost here!) anyway. I originally thought about doing the little wedges all around, the way they were in the manhole itself, but I didn't really like the complete symmetry (I have a tendency toward symmetry, which I am trying to keep under control, at least from time to time) so I went off centre and made the wedges a bit odd sized. And then added a whole slew of little circles. The intent is to quilt it, then add loads of embellishments - buttons, circular shells, french knots, sequins, what have you - not sure quite how it will work - I know the little circles will be embellished but otherwise, well - it will tell me what it wants.


Here it is after the quilting was begun - I did the purple wedges in a kind of flame thing and am filling the green with circles upon circles in variegated green. Not sure what I will do with the purple outer borders yet - the finished size of the quilt will be a bit smaller than this - I have left myself a little extra room for shrinkage and in case I decide to cut the final piece off centre (playing with that idea now) and well, just because. again, I will wait until it tells me what it wants.






So...I feel like I got a lot accomplished today (though it was only an hour or so this morning - I actually cut the shapes out last night - one advantage to DH being away is that if I happen to get inspired at 11 at night, I can do a little work then...) - hopefully tomorrow I will get a bit more done. Though I should also sort that September bag - too many things to do, too little time!

Most of today was spent up in town doing stuff, including a quick visit to the bead shop in Covent Garden where I got some goodies, very few of which are actually beads...

10 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Oh, what fun! It's great! I love the quilting.

Gail said...

Love it, the colors, the shapes, the quilting. What neat inspiration, too.

Vicki W said...

Do you live close to Covent Garden? I loved going there and jsut watching people. When I worked there I mostly stayed in Holborn so it was a nice little walk to CG. You got a lot of work done today too!

Joyce said...

Your manhole cover is cuter than the real one. I love the colors you have used.

AmyB said...

That is totally cool. (Yup, I'm channeling Valley Girl this morning!)

McIrish Annie said...

love your manhole cover can't wait to see it finished!

artisbliss said...

What a fun interpretation of the manhole cover! I think your tendency toward symmetry has to do with your general tidiness and good organization. I on the other hand prefer to be off-center, and everything about my life shows it!

Angela said...

what a great little quilt. Can't wait to see how this one develops

sewkalico said...

Very nice! great quilting and concept!!

Ruth's Place said...

Ohhh, I love this!!