Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lovely children


ATC from a swap with Gunnel, which came in the post today

I have really lovely children. Some of you have met them, and may or may not agree with that, but honestly, I do. Today, my children got up late (i.e. after 9am), fed themselves, entertained themselves, pretty much tidied up after themselves, barely argued at all AND washed the dishes and mopped the kitchen floor [they were playing a game involving running a cafe - "Mummy, can we do a pretend cafe, only using real food, and just eat that food as our lunch?" - um, duh - yes! (oh, and on a note of further parental pride, can I say that the menu in the cafe consisted mainly of toast and fruit salad, so I didn't even have sugar buzz issues later - did I mention I have lovely children?)]

Anyway, what did Mummy do while my children (and my bonus child for the day, Sarah's friend Jess, who went home from the sleepover around 3) were lovely? I'd give you three guesses, but heck, even if you've never been to my blog before you probably don't need them!

Mummy was a good girl and the first thing accomplished was to finish testing the September bag for the BQL Bag Challenge. The bag is lovely, anyone doing the challenge will enjoy it, but you'll have to wait until September to see it.

Then, I (let's quickly drop this odd 3rd person thing) worked on my "T is for" postcards - trees, as I mentioned before. I also took advantage of the time to have a good tidy up of a bit of my sewing room - mainly the embellishments bits - lots of new embellishments, which had been stuck kind of randomly into my little wooden drawers and everything was a bit, well, higgledy-piggedly. I also have this one drawer full of "bits and pieces" which are too good to throw away but... Well, you can imagine what that was like. Also tackled my scrap basket - didn't empty it, just neatened it a bit so it will hold more. And tackled a pile of discarded experiments and projects, which I'd been intending to "do something" with at some point. Well, I decided what to do with them, so have cut them all into ATC bases (2.5x3.5") - more on that in a separate post.



Here are the trees - they are all different - well, they'd be different anyway, as they are free-motioned but I mean they all use different colours of fabrics (dug out of the scrap basket) and a different variegated thread (yes, I am a variegated thread junkie, I confess), and then different embellishments at the end.

While I was doing that, I also turned a few of my ATC bases into ATCs with trees and embellishments, too. There will be some ATCs for trading in a week or two - watch this space!



Tomorrow, I'll have a giveaway for you as a result of the clearing out (there won't be sewing tomorrow - we are going to the zoo with some friends), so there's another reason to watch this space!

And, in honour of my 2 year blogversary there will be a more substantial giveaway later in the month (the blogversary is the 26th August - over on my family blog, I hit SIX years of blogging in July - can you believe it!) so do keep coming back. I know - you do anyway...

9 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Oh, Kate, those trees are wonderful! I have kind of a thing for trees (and for letters, too), and one day when my skills are a bit better I want to do a series of small tree quilts. I love the gentle shapes and the embellishments in yours.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Love the trees- they all look so different!

Vicki W said...

The trees are awesome and so are the children!

Papoosue said...

Kate, I love those trees, and I completely understand your love of the variegated thread - I have a few of those stashed aways myself! And you are approaching the big 40? Don't worry, it doesn't hurt (too much) :-) xx

It's nice to hear about 'nice' children for a change ;-)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You DO have lovely children! What a gift!

Emma said...

Your children do sound lovely! I love those ttrees, the silver (?) on burgundy is my favourite! And I love the leaf skeletons in the one you received; so delicate!

Mary Johnson said...

I love the trees - I may just have to try some of those.

Angela said...

Your tree cards are just beautiful!

Kathleen C said...

I've just discovered your blog, from Cheri Sullivan's blog. I love your trees because their shapes and embellishments are cheerful and inviting. Trees of all kinds remind me of playing outside under the trees as a child. I've made a large appliquéd quilt of leaves from those same trees at my mother's house. Thanks, Kathleen