Friday, August 15, 2008

Little Virtual Tour




...of my sewing room. As there was no sewing today (though we didn't do what was originally planned, due to lots of traffic - accidents, oddballs protesting on the M25 and so on) I have decided to share some of the lovely bits I am surrounded by while I work. Bear in mind I have a very small sewing room. Don't get me wrong, I love that I have a room at all - but it's not big - it's about 7ft x 7.5ft. It's remarkable how much I have fit in it, and just having it is really freeing in terms of work as I can leave things out when they are in progress. Big projects still need longer time, but if you can leave things out, it really is possible to do some work when you only have 20 minutes or so. ...



So anyway. Here's Mr Scrappy Crow, received yesterday from Julie, happy in his new home on my shelf. He's next to my winter Four Seasons Quilt Swap Quilt, from Jen and a piece I made for a poetry challenge somewhere over on about.com - the art quilting forum, maybe?

And here on the right is the wall as you come into my space - a pinboard crammed with bits and pieces - moo cards, business cards, ATCs and lots of other miscellany. There is also a waxed cloth picture from Uganda which I got from my friend Wil, a silver star Christmas decoration (which I like enough to leave up all year) from a swap with Lana, a pay-it-forward Dear Jane decoration from Cathi and a little hardanger ornament which came from the BQL secret santa swap one year. Then there's the Summer Four Seasons Quilt I got yesterday from Louise, two white quilties from a swap over on Creative Swaps, a piece I made from 4 Japanese Folded patchwork blocks I did in a class, the purple piece I received from Ann in the first miniature booty swap. Below that is a cross stitch piece I did, and some twinchies in a frame - from a FibreArtBits swap. Below that you can just see the top of a mini quilt my friend Sandra made for me - this was from a swap on Dyehard, my dyeing group.



Here's the view of my little wall above my sewing table, next to the window - another little white quiltie, a lovely card and little charm from Penny, a dottee angel from Julie, a wee birdhouse which was actually from a Valentine's ornament swap organised by Lenna, but which I like too much to put away, and a set of metallic inchies which Debbie sent me after I admired them on her blog.

On the right is the door to my sewing room, which has a Nancy Crow poster and the cards from the Angels, Faeries & Divas swap hosted by Lenna.



Here's a bit of my extremely crowded windowsill - a plastic bag chicken I bought in Camden Market, a little fabric box from a swap on my surface design list, a little African doll from Karol-Ann, and the wee doggie I got from Amy in a Valentine's Swap organised by Lucy Locket. And finally, another shelf - the piece of cloth is a complex cloth round robin don't on my surface embellishment list which I like too much to cut up and do anything else with and the red bag hanging on the end of the shelf is from the bag swap organised by Barbara. It was made by Weronica.

So there you go. I did receive something quilty in the post today - the centre of the Spring Fling Round Robin 2 piece to work on, from Helen. But I can't show it - when I've done my round, I'll show a sneak peek, but for the moment, you'll just have to do without! What you can see, however, is this lovely little journally book which she included in the parcel for me - hard to show both inside and outside, but here's a bit of a view - the pages inside are mostly white, with some lovely blue papers interspersed....
I also got two postcards for the batik beauties swap - these are from Sharon and Susan.



I know I promised a little giveaway, and we'll still get to that - just haven't remembered to photograph the stuff yet. Maybe tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the tour, thank you for sharing! I like to see all those little quilts hung together.

The Dude said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

What a great sewing room. There's lots of fun inspiration. Thank you for the tour.

Toni said...

What a great room!! I can see how you can be inspired when you are in your sewing room!

Julie said...

Your sewing room looks very well organised. You have some great inspiration around you while you work.