Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Can't see the forest for the trees
Well, it's done being quilted. Whew. Thank goodness I had an entire day today to work on it (girls at tennis camp; Alex did a "fun day" at the local rec centre) or who knows what might have happened. I'm not thrilled with the silk tree (on the blue square) - although it looks better in person than in the photo. I might mess with it a little if I have time - maybe add some fibres to the top to help integrate the gold and brown a little better. But on the whole, it works, more or less. I need to give it a bit of a press with a steam iron to block it in a couple of places (I knew that would happen as some parts are much more densely quilted than others) and of course it needs binding and a sleeve, but at least I don't feel quite so panicked. It will be done in time to hang at Hever. Whew.
Here are some closeups of the various tree panels...
The one on the left uses sheer ribbons to form a tree shape; the background fill is a sort of wave or swirl pattern. On the right, I've just used lots of leaves to fill this square and the rectangle of the same fabric. I like this fill a lot, but it's not quick.
Here, with the pine needles, I've just more or less copied the pattern in the fabric, only simplified a little. Same with the one on the right - I used the existing tree pattern and joined up the loose leaves to it (I really like this one).
And finally, one fairly free form tree which echoes the fabric, but not intensely. And on the right, I used free motion zigzagging to make these trees - again, the trees were on the fabric anyway, and I just went over them.
On the whole, I think the piece has come out well, though it doesn't really excite me the way that some pieces do. Still, it's what I wanted it to be, and I have eventual plans for it anyway...