Friday, November 30, 2007

Advent on the way...





Well, here it is nearly December (where did November go - anyone know?) and that means, time for advent calendars again. We have a variety in our house - Alex and Olivia each have one of those fabric ones with the little pockets, where you get a little treat or present each day, Sarah has one with the chocolates inside (Divine Fairtrade, not Disney character), we have a paper Christmas tree shape which we stick stuff on every day (Sarah and I made that one the first year she wasn't going to have a fabric one anymore), I have one of those paper type with windows, and of course, the big one is this one - the advent quilt* - which hangs in the computer room, in place of my shibori fabric quilt, for the month of December. What can I say? We like advent calendars, lol. Tonight, my quilty one looks a little barren, with 25 empty spaces, but each day we will choose a picture to add and it will gradually look less lonely. On the right here is the stack of pictures - which are approximately 4 inch squares, all paper pieced, in a variety of Christmassy & winter themes - star, snowman, mitten, Father Christmas, angel, wreath, stockings and so on. I propose to include a photo of each day's advent picture with my blog entries (or perhaps as a separate entry, so it doesn't get lost), so you can have a virtual advent calendar experience. Won' t that be fun? And it will also help my blogging in December, as I imagine I will get a lot less done this month than normal, between the holidays and my mother visiting.




The only other thing I have to show today (I spent the entire day at school getting stuff ready for our Christmas fair - it's just that time of year again) is this postcard, from Anne, who misread the name of the swap, so instead of strips and stripes, has sent stars & strips & stripes - which is fine with me - it's a nice cheerful card & I like the stars...


*Some of you will have spotted the resemblence to my postcard display quilt - it was this advent calendar from which I nicked the idea in the first place. Credit goes to Meadow Lily Bridge, where I got the pattern for the calendar.

10 comments:

Di said...

What a lovely idea Kate.

JustCindy said...

Love the postcard.

Myra said...

A virtual advent calender! How neat. When do we start? :o)

Debbi Baker said...

Fabulous idea for an advent calendar! And all those postcards you have been making - your productivity amazes me. They are beautiful. Hope you can squeeze in the inchie challenge this week!!

atet said...

Love your advent calendar -- speaking of which, hopefully I can get dd's fabric one with pockets done this weekend (better a couple days late than never?).

Ruth's Place said...

Can't wait to see your Advent calendar, I have to make one this week...

Julie said...

Great idea with the advent calendar. I shall look forward to sharing yours as I don't have one. Aaaah!

Helen in the UK said...

I absolutely ADORE your quilted advent calendar. I often get behind with blog readings, but will be eagerly watching to see what is added over the month :)

Lynda said...

I love this advent calendar, and the fact that it willl never be the same any time you use it! How do the little pictures stay on?

Anonymous said...

I Like the advent quilt, it is such a neat idea.