Sunday, November 04, 2007

And so, a bag it is!





So, there you are - I took my own advice and decided that these linen blocks would make a good bag. It's quite a thick sturdy bag, as it has two layers of lining - one is simply some fabric on the "back" when I quilted the top, and then it has a proper lining. The other bags I've made recently haven't had the "back" layer, but I didn't do FMQ on them, so it didn't matter if there was only batting and no fabric, as it was going to be lined anyway. But I didn't like the idea of trying FMQ with only batting against the machine bed. In the end, I used 15 of the blocks on the outside of the bag, and the 16th one went to be a pocket inside. Also used a bit more of my linen dress at the top and for straps. Amazingly, there is still a bit left, though I have used almost all of the skirt now (it was quite a long dress). I'd like to add here that although the dress no longer fit me & I decided with some reluctance to get rid of it after having it hanging in my closet for a number of years, that it was actually two sizes too BIG so there's a plus side to not being able to wear it any more...









10 comments:

Dorothy said...

L-O-V-E that bag! Adore it. (and the lining is perfect.)

Vicki W said...

The bag turned out great!

Colene said...

You bag turned out too cute! love it.
Colene

atet said...

That bag is wonderful! And what a great way to reuse a linen dress! I've been away from the computer while Mom was in town and, as always, missed tons on your blog. How in the WORLD you do this much, I do NOT know! Love the recent projects and I'm super impressed with your sewing space clean out!

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Great bag. Great Christmas ornaments. I love Christmas music...December especially but can stand it during just about any month...except November. In November it all sounds too early and like some media hype!
Susan

Unknown said...

Lovely bag - oh how I wish my clothes were two sizes too big for me sighhhh!!!

sewkalico said...

Funny about the dress being too big because just this morning I was looking at a shirt that I was given that was too big and I thought "Oh well,l I can always let myself 'go' into it" LOL.

Splendid Bag!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bag! Yeah, I'm with some of the others wishing my clothes were two sizes too big for me too, heck I'd settle for being able to fit into all of my pre-pregnancy clothes lol

carrie said...

That's a very nice bag, Kate

sophie said...

Great bag!