Thursday, November 01, 2007

Cushion distraction




Well... I started off the day working on some cards to a theme "fibre, fibre, fibre" (use lots of types of fibre). On the middle of these cards, I had my groceries delivered, and then had to run out to do a few errands (primarily go to the bank to put some cheques in). Also had to pick up some more pelmet vilene, so ended up in my local haberdashery/craft department, but bought very little besides the pelmet vilene and these two stamps - both for specific projects (though the one on the right has to do with Christmas cards, so you won't get to see what I'm planning to do just yet). On the way back to the car, I went past the big fabric warehouse (upholstery and curtain fabric, etc) which is closing down in a month or two and noticed they had some cushions on sale. As my sofa cushions were all getting fairly dismal and flat, I decided to get a couple new ones. Inside, I noticed some nice remnants on the remnant table, so picked some up to revitalise the rest of the sofa cushions, so in the end, that's what I did, rather than finish off the fibre cards (which are nearly done except trimming, backing & edging - will post a close up and detailed description tomorrow or whenever they get finished).





I took all the old cushions and removed the covers (by force if necessary). Some of them had 3 different covers on them, one on top of the other (so I'm lazy!). I fluffed up all the insides, combined some in a few instances, and except for one cushion, which was in good shape with a nice inner cover, I made new inner cases for all of them from an old sheet (see - I knew there was a reason I didn't throw it away!). And then, I used my remnants to sew new covers - they aren't the removable type as I didn't have enough fabric for that, and anyway, not sure these particular furnishing remnants are washable anyway. So now we have lots of nice, colourful, fluffy cushions. It certainly perks the room up a bit and disguises the fact that we could really do with a couple of new sofas... (The ones I bought were the two cream coloured ones - one is a faux suede with a very subtle flower design on it - hard to see in the photo.)





And lots of nice post today, though still waiting on some Sculpey I ordered ages ago (am chasing it up, but it's annoying). FiberArts magazine, which is new to me, but looks fun, and three postcards - this one is for the fibre, fibre, fibre swap with the leaves made out of three different fibres - angelina, felt and cotton fabric. Not to mention the thread. Anyway, that one's from Lynn, for the group ArtWeMail.



And the other two are a monochromatic card from Debbie and a letters card from Wendy. Nice batch of post today!

5 comments:

Doreen G said...

Jeez you're a goer Kate--I would have to procrastinate for a week before even cutting the cushions out.

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing what a lift a few new cushions gives a room - they always tell you this in housekeeping type magazines but I never believe them until I actually do it myself. Sadly I still have deep red and fir green ones scattered around from the old house colour scheme despite being aqua sand and cream for over two years and having a big chunk of spare curtain fabric in my stash - yep cushions are just another thing to put on my to do list! Oh the pressure!!!!!!!!!!! :o)

Joyce said...

The cushions look great. You've been busy.

Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
Great cushions! How I envy your abilities to create truly USEFUL things. It's quite impressive especially considering everything else you do. You will enjoy Fiberarts. I receive only two publications...that one and Craft. Both are filled with world class quality. They challenge my mind and set a bar that is nearly impossible...but that's a good challenge!
Susan

sewkalico said...

Great cushions!! Reminds me I need to make some...