Friday, November 23, 2007

Floating Hawaiian Squares


Look - actual sewing! Yesterday evening, while bloghopping, I saw this great block on my friend Judi's blog - it's called Floating Square, and it struck me as just the thing to do for one of the quilts with the Hawaiian fabric. So I made 20 blocks today, using 6 inch squares of shirt fabric (there are 22 shirts, so I was able to use most of them once each - I left out the two that were most similar to two others) and four different blues. There are only 12 in the photo as my dining room table isn't big enough, but you get the idea. I think this will work really well and think this may be the one I keep for myself, we'll see.

On Jane's blog yesterday I saw a neat meme using images from Google image and decided to do it, but as it's nothing at all to do with quilting and rather long and photo heavy, I put it on my family blog - plus I needed to post over there anyway... If you are interested, it's here.

Got a couple of things in the post, one a calendar from Australia - a suprise from Sharron, who I know from an online postcard group (thanks Sharron!) and one a postcard, which I seem to have neglected to photograph - I'll include it in the next lot, because I'm just too lazy to do it now!

7 comments:

Sequana said...

I like this block a LOT the way you've used it....*S*

Julie said...

These "floaters" work well, don't they? I particularly like the Easter Island image.

atet said...

I LOVE this block with the hawaiian shirts -- it would be a great way to do an "eye spy" type quilt as well -- oooh!

AmyB said...

Oh, you made me think of my gerbil... I think I got her in 5th grade. Her name was Ginger (aw...). She lived in my room for years, until she got old and sick and it was too cold in there for her. Best of luck to all on the new additions!

AmyB said...

Oops -- commented on the wrong post. Ah well -- you'll figure it out :)

sewkalico said...

I've done this block before and really like it. Simple yet effective - it works really well with these fabrics.

Unknown said...

This is just a perfect vehicle for those hawaiian prints - inspired!!!