Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Hawaiian shirt quilt



Here are some photos of my dad's shirts, as promised - you can't really see them that well laid out all on the bed, but you get the general idea. Dad was really into true Hawaiian shirts, so he has some lovely ones - like this one on the right. I'm not sure what I will do with them, but I'm sure I can come up with something great - especially with some other fabrics thrown in, to help keep all the busy prints a little contained. Whatever I do, it won't be intricate, because I think the prints are so nice, they don't need much, and then want to be in fairly large pieces themselves. A few of them almost have little panels, so that will help point the design in the right direction.

A couple people have asked where I'm staying - we're at the Town and Country - Mission Valley, I think? But my SIL's parents are in Escondido, so we had a quick visit up there today, and then out to the beach at Oceanside. I think we'll be getting around all over San Diego.

10 comments:

Mika said...

funny!!! I lived in Oceanside for 5 years! You must eat at Claimjumper while you're in the area...TO DIE FOR!!!! I haven't been in the 6 years since I left..and you will love it. BTW..shirts are just awesome, can't wait to see what you do with them!

Beth said...

Hi Kate -

What wonderful thing to do! I would reccommend the BQ or BQ2 quilt from www.mapleislandquilts.com

The pattern uses 12" squares and coordinating fabric to showcase the prints. And they are VERY quick and easy patterns to make!

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

rlbates said...

They'll make a great quilt!

Julie said...

Beautiful shirts Kate and lovely hotel. Enjoy the comfort.

AmyB said...

You know what's funny, Kate? I *assumed* when you mentioned a pile of your dad's shirts, that they were plaid flannels -- you can tell what MY dad wears all the time, eh? And yes, I know he lived in sunny southern CA... just another in a long string of my blonde moments ;) Hope you enjoy the time with your family.

Lila Rostenberg said...

My first visit to your quilting world! I came from Bimbimbee's blog in Australia...I quilt too. I think making the quilts from your dad's shirts is a lovely idea!

YankeeQuilter said...

Making those quilts are a great idea. I love Hawaiian fabrics! I made a couple of pillows from my Dad's ties. It was a bit of a combination of remembrance and closure.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I'm afraid I'm as guilty as Amy B...I thought plaids and strips too! Hawaiian is much better though! Something as simple as uniform squares or rectangles with sashing in white or black (or other solid colour) would be very effective. I have a few pictures off the net which I'll send you so you can see what I'm on about.

Anonymous said...

A Hawaiian shirt quilt is a cool idea. I may have to put this on my to-do list. I recently discovered your blog and like it a lot. I will visit frequently.

fourcatsjones said...

Hello,
My husband and I recently went to Hawaii and I bought some Hawaiian prints to use in a quilt. I found a shirt block on the Internet I though was great. You might like it too.
www.paperpanache.com/guests/ashirt.htm

You could use the blocks separately and just bordered or you could make the background blue sky and green grass put a "clothes line on your quilt and have the shirts hanging from the line".

Janice Jones