Friday, November 02, 2007

Merry November


While I'm not ready for Christmas decorations in all the shops and Christmas food everywhere and goodness knows, not ready for Christmas music (which I like, in December), I don't mind a few sessions making Christmas type things. After all, if you are going to make any of your presents, you do need a little lead time. So the other day I was making a few Christmas postcards, today I was making some ornaments. I have joined an ornament swap on one of my lists, and will probably also use some for secret santas and with other gifts. And maybe one or two for myself! I was playing around with shapes today - I like the star/cross, but it's a bit fiddly, so will probably stick with the diamonds and circles. These use a variety of techniques - some have angelina, a few have foiled snowflakes, the one pictured in detail above has a snowflake cut from copper scrim. And all of them have a polymer clay face or word on them. I will probably do another batch next week - maybe a few more snowflakes - I do like them... If you want to see them in more detail, I have uploaded closeups of all of them to my flickr album.


And as promised, more about my fibre, fibre, fibre cards today, including a closeup. I used a hand-dyed cotton background and added jute scrim, a piece of lace, some rayon or viscose ribbon, angelina fibres (which have been pressed against a stamp), and three different colours of Cotswold sheep's wool (hand-dyed, but not by me - I bought it a while ago from Simmy - isn't it gorgeous?). Most of it is stitched down with cotton thread, but the edges are a variegated rayon & the backing (which of course you can't see) is linen, from a recycled dress. So, lots of fibres!

Also got some postcards, but I will share them later - maybe tomorrow - as I have to head out to do stuff at school and then there's fireworks night and so on and so on...

6 comments:

Crissi Harvey said...

Wow the orniments are fab Kate love the face did you make them aswell?. the cards are beautiful

sewkalico said...

Wonderful decorations! And great cards too :O)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
I really like the ornaments! I have looked high and low here for the face molds! I'm assuming you made them from your molds?

By the way, I received my winning postcard! I am happy that I got the blue one, my favourite colour! Now that I have one in my possession, I feel that I can create a postcard for the postcard swap! If it is a go, please let me know the details.

Why the fireworks?
Peggy

Myra said...

Kate, I love, love, love the ornaments. You are so creative.

Julie said...

I love the fibre fibre fibre cards!
and the decorations too. Great ideas.

Wil said...

Kate, your fiber cards are gorgeous!