Sunday, January 13, 2008

Winter Winner! and loot, too

...and the winner of the snowflake blocks is Joyce! Which is cool, as I know she has plans for the blocks. Technically, the first name drawn was Ruth, but she asked not to be in the draw, so I drew again (you'll probably never get drawn again, Ruth, LOL). And there you go. Joyce, send me your snail mail address and I'll put the blocks in the post to you.

So much for what Joyce got - here's what I got today. I went to the quilter's sale at Farnham Maltings (an annual event, where lots of retailers bring all the things they want to get rid of (and sometimes, some new stuff, too) and sell at greatly reduced prices. They might not seem like much of a bargain to you Yanks out there, but those of us in Europe, Australia, South Africa, even Canada, will sympathise!)

Anyway, my intent was (as always) not to buy too much - some years I make a list of tops I have needing backing, and buying backs for them there, but frankly, I did that with several tops last year, and still haven't got them quilted, so I decided just to browse and pick stuff I liked. I almost didn't buy any fabric, until I found someone with a whole shelf of Lonni Rossi fabrics, at £4 per metre. Who could resist? Not I! See below, right :) Yes, there are one or two other things in there - a pale green, which was just pretty, and the black on black, also in the £4/metre sale - black on black always being useful to me.





I also bought another cross-stitch pattern, from the same place (The Patchwork Rabbit) I bought several before - the vendor is American, and I had a lovely chat with her at the Surrey area day recently. I was going to buy more, but had run out of cash, so will order a few more from her online. I love these, not just because they are excellent designs, but because they are simple enough (in the sense of the pattern being not too dense and not too big) for me to actually finish. In a short amount of time. I'm looking forward to doing this one (having got tired of the NOEL stitchery, now that Christmas is gone).




And some other things - a hand needle felter - a special offer to buy the felter, and get the mat and spare needles free. As I have been thinking of getting one of these for some time, it seemed a sign from the quilting gods. I also bought a few miscellaneous threads (the polyester thread was 75p a reel - it's gone up from previous years, when it was 50p!) and a piece of lovely fabric - can't think what it is at the moment, it will come to me later.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh goodies, I love looking at goodies. Everything is nice but the fabric is "really" nice.

Sequana said...

It's time for me to shop Ms. Rossi again....I just love her fabrics with the text on them. I have one piece here that I just won't cut yet.

You had a great shopping orgasmic day!

Julie said...

Some lovely fabrics there Kate, especially the gingko. I look forward to seeing the felting needle kit put to good use.

Joyce said...

How lucky am I! I already know where those snowflakes are likely to end up. you did very well with your shopping too.

atet said...

And, as usual, while I'm taking a short "break" (thanks to lots of laundry) you're busy, busy, busy! Love the new goodies and that arch page is absolutely fantastic. Love the shape and the embellishments. The work you've been doing with the trees is also making me wish I were better at free motion work!

Anonymous said...

that's karma for you!lol Great fabric you picked up.

Unknown said...

The Maltings is just that bit too far away from me at the wrong time of year (post Christmas economy drive and rugby match day) so I've never got over there - looks like I've been missing some real goodies - love the cross-stitch pattern - something as sweet as that could even encourage me to get back into it - NOOOOOO!!! I need more sewing like a hole in the head! :o)

Purple Missus said...

Some good buys there Kate.
I believe the fabric is polyester crushed velvet - great for burning :)

Anonymous said...

I love my felting mat. Just don't pull this trick. "hmmm, I wonder if it really is "unlocked". Yup, it was. My bloody finger proves it! I am also a Lonni Rossi fanatic. She came to speak at our guild and I bought one of her fabric "books"-basically a huge pack of fabric packaged to look like a book. The most I ever spent on fabric. Now I just look at it. I should use it, but I can't!

Penny said...

I hadn't heard what it actually was before, but maybe I'll get along next year.