Friday, January 18, 2008

Swaps & cards



These two star blocks are both for the birthday block swap - both people this month wanted batiks, with cream background, so it made sense to do them at the same time. The purple one doesn't work quite as well, as there's not enough contrast on the inner star, but it' s ok. She wanted purple batiks, so I am a little more limited in what I could use. I'm still considering making it again with one of the fabrics different (the fabric which is in the place of the yellow fabric in the left block) - or even just trying another combination of purples - I do have one or two I didn't use. I also made the larger stars overlap slightly differently on the purple block, and I'm not sure it works as well. Anyway, it's not bad, I'm just nitpicking, I think.



When those were done, I worked on a pair of blocks for my African block swap with Karol Ann (who is actually IN Africa at the moment, so I have a chance to get ahead. Although I think I have to make one more before I'm technically ahead. Who can keep track.) This was a useful block for using up lots of smaller scraps - it's a bit wild, but fun too. I won't be able to make another one for a little while, as I am totally out of black fabric (plain black, I mean - I have lots of tonals, etc). Must have a quick check in my local haberdashery department on Monday - they don't have much selection of fabric (though are quite good on other things) but they might stretch to black cotton. Frankly, I don't need to be tempted by a trip to a quilt shop!



And loads of post today - M is for Modigliani from Brigitte in France (I love this card - it will probably stay up for quite a while); 1970's from Maureen; an orange block from Lynn; N is for necktie from Barbara. I do like getting fun things in the post. Must take my metallic cards to the PO - forgot to do that today!

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a great mail day! The 70's card and the neckties are really cute. I lvoe your african and batik star blocks. You had a good day!

atet said...

I can see what you mean about the contrast on the purple stars -- but, honestly? I don't think it's as "bad" as you do. Sometimes subtle is nice (and this from the woman who thinks lime green is a neutral). LOVE the "M" card as well -- I can see why that one is going to stay up for awhile.

Debbi Baker said...

Hi Kate - Just caught up on your last several posts (I am behind in blog-reading 101!!) - all very beautiful and inspiring, as always. Love the true confessions too...

Anonymous said...

Love African blocks, they look great!

Penny said...

Those stars are really clever, and I've been peering at them trying to work out how you made them.

With some patchwork blocks, you have to sew together two pieces of the same material to get a bigger shape. It looks like this one isn't designed that way.

Joyce said...

The stars look wonderful including the purple one . I love the African ones too. I find I always run out of black fabric. I think I need to buy a lot of it. It's surprising how often it comes in handy.

Anonymous said...

Love your blocks, I think you're right and you're nit-picking.

Awesome postcards.

Angela said...

I love your African blocks Kate, all those fabrics are great. The postcards you have received are wonderful too, the one from Brigette is fabulous!

sewkalico said...

Cool. we're neck and neck now! But you have time :O)