Saturday, January 26, 2008

Journal Quilt Week 10: quilting and bits



I haven't been very inspired to work on my journal quilt piece (or many other things) in the past few days, but today I finally got down to work on something - I started with a fabric sandwich and filled it with a number of free motion quilting patterns in different threads - some of them inspired by the ideas in Dijanne Cevaal's book, some of them just off the top of my head. The book was downstairs, so I couldn't check it while I was quilting and I was too lazy to go get it...


Then I added some stuff - just whatever struck my fancy. There's a transparency, held down by some heart-shaped brads; a bit cut from an old postcard; a bit of an old mobile (the metal figure); some polymer clay pieces, a bead, a flower and some sequins. I think i will either bind it or finish the edges, but for the moment, it's more or less done.




Here are some detail photos.


I didn't do anything else today (quilting related - I did cook a nice lunch, including three types of sorbet for dessert) as we had a friend around for lunch - he also helped translate some of the old papers that were in my dad's stuff (the older ones are in German). A lot of them are birth, death & marriage certificates and extracts from baptismal records and so on, which is as I suspected (I know a tiny amount of German, though not much) but it was nice to have a German speaker on hand to help with all the bits I wasn't sure of.


2 comments:

Sequana said...

*Gesundheit*.......oh...sorry

anyway...i'm using some of those "bubbles" to quilt a large quilt i have here now....it seems to take so much xtra thread, but now that i've started, i guess i'll keep on with it....

your Journal Quilt looks very nice

Julie said...

I like this quilt Kate. Sounds like you've got the winter blues maybe. Take the time out and recharge your batteries.