Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Journal Quilt Week 8, and lots more


Well, after the paucity of offerings on yesterday's blog, today I have lots to show - firstly, this week's journal quilt, which is a tree, free motion embroidered on tree batik fabric. My surface embellishment group is doing a class called Tempting the Muse with Laura Cater-Woods. One of the assignments this week is to think of an image you'd like to feature in your work and reduce it to a basic form. I haven't done that here, but I have been thinking of trees, and playing with them - here I first stitched with brown thread, then went back over the piece with a neutral variegated to make it seem more wintery. I like this a lot and am thinking I might do some more like it...


I also did these things today - finished the last four log-cabin blocks from the shirts and made my "M is for" cards - inspired by my kids on this one, especially Alex, who got some new gloves with little monsters on the fingers.

And I got not one but four cards in the post (it never rains but it pours) - a belated birthday card from Nancy, some little houses from Brigitte,



An M is for (Mask) from Jeannette and a recycled card from Michelle. What a nice haul!

9 comments:

Julie said...

I love the tree journal quilt - it is gorgeous and very delicate. The monster cards look fun!

Vicki W said...

Your journal quilt is wonderful! I'm taking some classes from L C-W in march at my LQS and I am really looking forward to it!

Joyce said...

I really like what you've done with the trees.

Judi said...

I love the tree another great idea and the m is for monsters is neat.

Wil said...

A lovely tree Kate!

Purple Missus said...

Love what you have done with the batik fabric - and stick with those 'M is for Monster', I can see them taking off especially if you wrote a short bio for each one :)

Angela said...

Your journal quilt is just gorgeous, and those monster cards are a riot. It never ceases to amaze me how much you accomplish each day.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, you've been busy.

I think the tree went well with the varigated thread over it to make it look wintery.

Sandra Wyman said...

Love the wintry tree - catches the wintry mood beautifully