Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Metallics, tops



From this...to these.


I worked on a few things today - finished the remaining "M" postcards, then went on to work on some metallic cards for that swap - when I have this sort of theme - a colour, a general theme, etc, I tend to just pull out everything I own which might work, and then mess around. In the end, I didn't use that many things for these cards - I knew I wanted to use some of the handwriting fabric and had thought it might work as a background, but it was too busy, so I ended up using it in a little frame. That, some metallic dragonfly fabric, few bits of ribbon, metallic thread, and finally, a bit of sealing wax to finish (I have all kinds of bizarre things in my craft stash). Of course they'll need finishing, and I will attempt to edge them with metallic thread - which hopefully, will behave.


Before I did any work this morning, I did something else - went through my entire stack of unquilted tops - and halfway through the shoeboxes of blocks which need making into tops (I got bored after the first 4 or 5 boxes). I hope to get a few tops quilted this year, and all the blocks either made into tops or given away (and in the case of some swaps, both - a few blocks into a baby quilt or wallhanging or bag or whatever and the rest, given away).


Thought I'd share a few of the unfinished tops with you (and more tomorrow)...

The one on the left is made from hand-dyed fabric, using a commercial white on white print. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure I like it - perhaps it would do better to be separated into two smaller pieces and used as baby quilts... On the right is a top made from pieces from a discharge swap with my dyeing group. This one I DO definitely like, but haven't decided how I want to quilt it yet. Might do it soon, though. More tomorrow...

7 comments:

Judi said...

I lovethe postcards. Where do you come up with all the great ideas?

The discharge quilt is awesome. I really like all the different techniques put together. The other quilt is very bright and would work nice as babyquilts that's a good idea for them. Judi

Joyce said...

I really like the quilt on the left. Must be the colors. Nice and bright. The other is nice too but the left one really caught my eye.

Sequana said...

I agree. I'd love to see the quilt on the left as 2 baby quilts, maybe with some pretty 30s prints for a border? Or some small floral? OR rainbow polka dots. Or.....Or......Or......*S*

atet said...

I actually like the hand dyed quilt. I love the colors and the pattern in it. I suppose you could split it into baby quilts -- but, that pattern is just not really "baby" to me. What is the size on that one?

And -- yeah, the discharge one is great :0).

Unknown said...

I've often wondered what effect dyeing WOW fabric would have - now I know. I think you're right about splitting it into two baby quilts - it probably wouldn't be quite so intensive say if you'd interspaced with a plain navy fabric - looks good though

Purple Missus said...

I too like the one on the left. Definitely a 'girlie' quilt. I like the way you work with the postcards but do you have any vague sort of idea in mind before you actually start?

starrynightquilter said...

Hi Kate,

I just stumbled across your blog. Really enjoying it. I am intrigued by the fabric postcards - something I am contemplating. Thanks for the marvelous ideas. May I add your blog to my list of blogs?
starrynightquilter