Saturday, January 24, 2009

Not giving things away - part 2

Right. On to the rest of the tops - a lot of these are fairly small, which makes me feel a little better about having so many - but only a little!






1. Batik Sawtooth Star Tablecloth. 60x72. 2008. This one I feel better about still having (don't get me wrong - all these tops only cause vague stirrings of guilt - nothing to keep me awake at night!). I won the stars in the block lotto in October 2007, and put the top together in January 2008. So it's only been sitting around for a year! I bought some backing fabric for it this year at Farnham Maltings Fabric Sale, and it's going on my 2009 list for basting and quilting.



12. Brown & Pink Pineapple. 62x80. 2008. This quilt was nearly basted together last week, but the piece of batting I had in the house was too small - just. It may take a week or two to have time to get out and buy batting, so I'm going to move it to my February goals list. This one will definitely get quilted this year. The blocks from this quilt were organised by Sophie when my dad died in the autumn of 2007. Despite some serious health issues herself, she took the time and effort to coordinate the making of these blocks in several different online forums, and had intended to put the quilt together herself and send it to me. In the end, because of all her health issues we decided she should send the blocks to me as they were and I'd put them together myself, which I did. It's a lovely top and of course always makes me feel warm and cosy thinking of all the online friends who took the time and energy to send a block or two!


The rest of the quilt tops on this list are smaller - hoorah. This means, I am that much more likely to get them quilting on my DSM. Doesn't mean they'll all get quilted soon, but at least there's a slightly higher likelihood!




13. Navy & Jewel Tone Friendship stars. 32" square (I think). Note the pins & batting! This one I pinned together today, using the batting which wasn't big enough for the pineapple quilt. Not sure when these blocks are from - it was a swap on Quilt Shoppe Forum (I think) or possibly Scrap Quilting Forum. There was a period where I did a LOT of block swaps. Too many, really, but it's addictive. But these make a lovely baby quilt, and although none of my friends seem to need wedding quilts at the moment, lots of them are having babies...

14. Corn & Beans. 48" square. Again with the pins & batting! Apparently I finished piecing this top in January 2007 (sometimes, having a blog to keep track of these things is a BAD idea). Anyway, just the right size for another baby quilt and to work with the batting piece I had. Both of these baby quilts will get quilted in the next few months - possibly sooner if DH springs another last minute work baby gift on me!




15. Hawaiian Shirt Quilt. 48x60. 2007. This is one of the quilt tops I made from my dad's Hawaiian shirts after he died. I made 4 tops, three of which have been quilted and sent to my stepmom, her mother (who was good friends with my dad and lived more or less with them for the last few years of Dad's life) and my brother and his wife. After I finished thost three - the last of which was finished in the autumn of 2008 - I was a little tired of Hawaiian shirt quilts, so didn't want to quilt mine straight away. I might try to do it this year!


16. Courthouse Steps. 49" square. 2007/8. This top also was made just after my dad died - I bought these fabrics in San Diego in November 2007 when I went for Dad's funeral. It will get quilted at some point as I really like the fabrics.



17. Alex's Quilt. 44x62. I made this top a while back (June 2007, apparently) because a small boy was nagging me SO much to make some of his fabrics into a quilt that I had to. Luckily (for me) after we made it into a top, he stopped nagging. And consequently, it never went any further. Although I did buy some backing fabric for it, so perhaps someday it will actually get finished. Maybe I'll aim for his birthday - when he turns 7! (Because his sixth birthday is in about 2 weeks time...)




18. Shoe Quilt. 42x46. Feb 2008. Originally this was intended as a 40th birthday present for a friend (May 2008) but I've been very out of touch with her, so didn't finish it. I will finish it, and I will give it to her, but as she lives in the US, I will probably aim to take it to her in person the next time we go to visit. I do have backing for it, but am still debating how I want to quilt it - a meander with shoes and handbags, I think, if I can manage them.


19. Christmas table topper. 36" square. These blocks are a few from a swap of Christmas blocks of this design which I did with Scrap Quilting Forum - most of the blocks I got were red & green and I decided a while ago I didn't want them, but I kept the blue ones to make a table topper. Don't really know which Christmas the swap was originally intended for (ok, I checked, the swap was in summer 2006) but I will aim to quilt this for Christmas this year. Fairly safe to set that goal in January, I hope!








20. Little Rail Fence Quilt. 28x32. I made this ages ago, and it used to be quilted and hanging on a wall, but the quilting was really bad and it annoyed me when I got to be a better quilter, so as it was tiny, I took it all out and keep meaning to re-do it. I'm putting this one on the 2009 list as well - it should only take me a couple of hours really, though I think I may need to spend some time blocking it first...


21. ColourShott Knot. 32x32. This is another of those pieces I can't decided if I like or not. It looks strange in this photo because of the colour shott fabrics (which look one colour from one direction and another from a different one) but it looks different head on. This one might actually go on the discard pile. I thought I might turn it into a baby quilt, but actually, I have quite a few pieces which will work for that, so I don't think I'll need it. I'll have a think about it and decide sometime. In the meantime, it doesn't take up much space!




22. Basket Block. 22" square. I won the basket blocks from the block lotto in May 2007 and have used a number of them as mini quilts for various occasions - a couple of quilt angel situations, a blog giveaway and so on. This one I intend to keep for myself. Someday, I will quilt it! The leftover blocks I recently sent to Ann, having decided I had made enough little quilts with them to last a lifetime...


23. Blue String Quilt. 36x36. 2008 - just made this in the past few months. I had intended to buy some flannel or minke for the back at Farnham Maltings, but didn't see any, so I need to hit a haberdashery dept for some - as the blocks have a fabric foundation, I don't want batting and backing as it will be too heavy. Another baby quilt...


And finally.





24. "Arty" Autumn Quilt. 28x32. Ancient. This is from a book called Easy Art Quilts, which I made several things from, a long time ago. This is one of those that I forgot I had - it was in a drawer and I recently (well, a year or so ago) rediscovered it and decided I really liked it and should finish it. I still think that!

So, that's the tops. You can see why I can afford to give some away! Later, when I've a bit more time, I'll do the blocks and the handful of projects which are at some in-betweeny stage (most of my projects are at either block stage or top stage - but not all of them, of course - that would be too easy).

9 comments:

rlbates said...

Kate, these are all just beautiful! Enjoyed looking them over.

Dayna said...

enjoyed the trip down quilting lane. We all have projects like that don't we?

miss aine said...

Oh my sweet Lord! That is so much stuff to have on the go. I can't have more than 4 projects in my head at any one time. Fair dues!

sewkalico said...

These last few posts have been so interesting with so many different designs of quilts. I hope you get to finish many this year (and then you can come and finish mine LOLOLOL!)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

WoW!

So many wonderful projects :)

carole brungar said...

OMG Kate, you have some lovely quilt tops here! GET THEM FINISHED!

Andrea said...

What a great couple of posts - lovely to have a nose at your UFO's.

sewkalico said...

Forgot to say how lovely your pineapple comfort quilt is!

black bear cabin said...

corn and beans.....gorgeous!!!