Saturday, January 17, 2009

Circles!



So, here's today - and yesterday - to show you. Today's work was this little quilt, which is for the BQL January Challenge. The challenge last year was bags - this year, the idea is to make a small quilt, either A4 or 12x12 each month, which can then slot into a calendar holder and provide a perpetual calendar. Each month, a different idea or technique will be given as the focus for the challenge. This month, the idea was overlapping circles, raw-edge appliqued (having fused the circles down beforehand). Personally, I didn't really want to make a 12x12 or A4 piece - I don't need another calendar and anyway, wanted to make something a little bigger - so although I followed the design & technique specs, I did change the size & shape a little - I added a border, for instance, and made 12 4" squares rather than 16 3" squares - and so on. Oh, and I killed two birds with one stone by using the stitching which holds the circles down as quilting, too. (I then meandered the background as filler). It's still a small piece - about 16"x20" - and it will fit perfectly on one of the doors in my hallway, along with some other little quilts. This was made using the fabric I received from Barbara the other day (how's that for speedy!) with some other bits thrown in from stash. There's still lots of the fabric left, of course, but at least I have the pleasure of looking at it on a regular basis.

And yesterday - I forgot to blog this - often I don't blog on a Friday as I am usually at school all day, so no work to show - totally forgot this came in the post - anyway, this is a selection of goodies from Karol-Ann, sent as postage reimbursement for some blocks I sent to her. The little wallet at the top right is a tea wallet - for holding a small selection of tea bags in your handbag...

And I did go back and put a back on and edge the house for January - I have spared you a photo of this - it looks exactly the same except for a neutral coloured satin stitch around the edge!

5 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Too funny -- the little photo of the circles quilt looked like a box of chocolates until I clicked to enlarge it. Now it looks like sushi!

Pat said...

I'd not heard of a tea wallet...that is quite interesting. Nice piece with the circles on it, too!

mumzy said...

The tea wallet is a great idea. Love the circle quilt as well.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It looks great - I've been wanting to make a bulls eye quilt in a while - just waiting for the long list of things I've already started to settle down a bit. You've got a nice trade for postage reimbursement. Love that brown fabric.

McIrish Annie said...

look at you with just one thing left on your January to do list! Like your idea for your little quilts. 16x20 is a nice size. and love the bird cards!

I'm with you on our new President I hope that things will improve drastically