Thursday, January 15, 2009

English country cottage - or not



So, no more arch swap in 2009; instead we have a house front swap, which will only be every other month (with a challenge for a theme to keep for yourself in the in-between months) - January is the first one, and I was due to make for Gabriela who had a loose theme of houses around the world or maker's choice. I started with an English Cottage type house (thatched roof, etc) and decided that as many English Cottages had flowers growing madly all over them, that's the aspect I would emphasize. Obviously, these flowers are a little madder than any real English Cottage, but it was fun. I do still need to back and edge it, but it wasn't quite dry yet before I had to go to work, so I left it - will probably finish on Saturday.

Also, some nice post - these "ugly" browns, which Helen was trading for beads/embellishments. Needless to say, "ugly" is in the eye of the beholder and I snapped them right up - two of them, I have some of already in my stash, as it happens (the dots and the neutral).



9 comments:

Gene Black said...

"Ugly" is indeed in the eye of the beholder. What a glorious stash of brown shades. Congrats on a good trade.

black bear cabin said...

the house swap sounds like fun, and i look forward to seeing what you create for everyone! Nice score on the browns :) isnt that one of your favorite colors for quilting?
cheers~

Vicki W said...

Those browns aren't ugly - I have someof them! Your house is adorable too!

AmyB said...

Uh, yeah -- nothing ugly in that pile! (Maybe Helen needs to have her eyes checked? VBG) In fact, I have the one in the lower right, but in a different colorway. :)

jovaliquilts said...

I love the English country cottage!

Local foods, families, and community fun! said...

Here's something I thought you might enjoy. Neat artist lady somewhere in WI who specializes in phenology (sequence of nature's events). Happy reading. Diane

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2008/dec08/quilts.htm#1

PS. -22F (BELOW) that's farenheit...at least we have "real" snow!

sewkalico said...

Hey, I sent you some of those ugly brown spots before LOL

mumzy said...

Browns, in my eyes, are not ugly especially those you ended up with. The house swap looks like it could be great fun. One has to use their artistic side.

Unknown said...

OK. I will go with the majority. I am an idiot with no taste. They are gorgeous browns. So, do I get them back?! (Only joking - do not dare send them back!)