Thursday, January 22, 2009

This and that - and the other





Forgot to blog yesterday - not that there was much to show, as I didn't do any work - though I did get some nice post, so I'll show that here, a bit further down. Today I had a few hours in the morning, so I worked on two things with common elements - an altered tin for a trade on FAT - only requirement was that it have a heart somewhere on it. Mine has several. The trade was originally an altoid tin, but some leniency was allowed for those who might not have access, I have used this cookie tin instead - it held a single cookie - it's about 5 inches across and about an inch high. The fabric on top is glitter felt, with the heart made of a silk fabric. The ribbon around the edges is from India - a birthday gift from my friend Lana...



This is a padded heart ornament for a swap on Textile Challenges - it's actually not a good representation of the colour at all, but I took several photos and none of them came out well in terms of colour - there's quite a bit of blue and green as well as some coppery overtones. Anyway, trust me that it looks much more interesting in person.




Here's something lovely I received in the post today - my first house front for the house swap (also on Textile Challenges) - this one was made by Michelle - my chosen theme was House of the Rising Sun (first thing that popped into my mind - plus I've always liked the song) and so she's gone back to the lyrics of the song and pulled out the cards in relation to the gambling theme. And a bonus - a piece of the ice-dyed fabric she used on the back. Lucky me.



And finally - what I received yesterday - these great fabrics from Margaret, in return for the blocks I sent her way a little while back. And two placemats, which I bound tonight at my little quilt group - these are small pieces I've tried out quilting patterns on. I have about 5 or 6 - eventually, I will have enough to use as placemats or give as gifts, etc.

I heard from Helen that my African block (which I teased you about the other day) arrived with her today, but I'll wait until tomorrow to show that, as I will need something to blog about on my no-work Friday...

3 comments:

morningDove said...

i love the tin and the ornaments are gorgeous. Your India ribbon is beautiful. great job.

Kathy said...

The tin is very pretty. I like that idea - it's something even I could make. I've always hated to throw out perfectly good tins.

And the heart ornament is gorgeous! I love all these little things you make.

Mom

Unknown said...

the tin is indeed pretty but I am confused. What is the point of a tin which holds ONE cookie? Who eats cookies in ones? And even if you did when you ate it you'd have an immidately empty tin.So the tin is only good for storage of one cookie and if you only have one cookie you are not going to store it are you? surely you would just eat it - even if it was kind of absentmindedly just to get rid of it? Either I am greedy ( a disntinct possiblity) or this tin is confusing!