Thursday, May 07, 2009

Vintage



This morning, I did have a little time to work, so I was able to work on the Vintage postcards for Arts in the Mail. I started with a really old vintage piece of fabric I've had knocking about for some time which I think might have once been a curtain in my early childhood been treasuring for many years and fussy cut it to showcase these lovely scenes - not sure how well you can see them, but the fabric is full of them - lords and ladies in their finery frolicing in the garden or in boats. I have always liked this fabric - the piece I have had been made into a pillow at one point, but when it developed a hole, I retired it into the general stash; I'm glad to find a use for it. I also made some ATCs as there were smaller cuts which showed scenes well.

After fussy-cutting, I added some bits of old lace (various sources) and buttons. A few of the buttons might not be vintage (on the ATCs, I didn't worry about that) but as all my buttons are in together, it's hard to tell sometimes.

These are very simple, but I like the way they've come out - I intend to keep one of the ATCs for myself just in case I ever use up all the vintage fabric - this way I'll always have a scrap of it.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I recognize that fabric. (it's from the 60s - does that make it vintage?) When your father and I were first married, I bought that fabric and used it to make a curtain for a little nook in the living room (to hide the junk stored in the nook!) I think we also had some pillows covered with it. I don't know what we may have done with it after that, but you may very well have had the pillow covers at some point. There is a name for that sort of pattern, but I can't recall what it is. Can't believe it is still around.
Mom

mumzy said...

Love that vintage fabric and what a lovely way of using it.

Ruth's Place said...

They are lovely, Kate.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love all the clusters of buttons.

While I'm here I wanted to ask. Is there any area of London worthy of visiting for for fabric? I might be down next weekend and I was hoping there might be an area good for poking around.

Thanks