Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Romeo and Juliet lived here



That's the title of this house shaped swap piece, which I made today for the house front swap with Textile Challenges. This piece is for Alis, whose theme is Shakespeare Lived Here. While others have gone down the Tudor Cottage route, I opted for something different, instead choosing to interpret one of the plays a little. So here are "Juliet & her Romeo" embracing on the balcony, with sun, moon, stars and so forth. The background is free-motion quilted with circles, then the image (printed onto fabric) added on top, with some bits of various sheer fabrics over the edges to soften the lines. The words, also printed from Word onto fabric, read "It is the East and Juliet is the Sun" (the lines following "Hark, what light through yonder window breaks"), and I have stitched a sun over top of the words.
After I posted this originally, I thought I'd show the back as well, as I like the way it came out - I used an old block which couldn't be used for various reasons, positioned the house on it and cut away the excess - makes a great backing and now that block won't be sitting around unused in my sewing room!

5 comments:

Clare said...

Exquisite. Lovely work. Congrats.

JuliaB said...

ooh I love that Romeo and Juliet house. That is one of my favourite ever pictures and I have it in my bedroom. beautiful work. xx

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I love your house. What a great way to use up a lonely block.

Kathy said...

I love your little house scene. Very romantic. And what a clever idea to use a block for the backing.

Mom

Unknown said...

Love your take on the topic, Kate! It all ties together so well - even down to the sun quilting over the quote! Very clever!! And I am making a note about how you used an orphan block!!! I'll be "stealing" that one for sure!!