Sunday, May 10, 2009

May blossom



In my postcard trading group (Arts in the Mail) we are going to do a series for months of the year - this month being what it is, the theme for this month is May. I decided to start off with one of my favourite spring blossoms - Hawthorn blossom, also called May blossom. The issue was how I was going to represent it as it's a blossom made up of a cluster of small flowers - I knew I wanted to use a cluster of small flowers but wasn't sure I wanted to use fabric because of the fraying. I thought about paper, but was worried it might not hold up in the post. Suddenly, it occurred to me that I could use tyvek - it cuts as well as paper and doesn't fray like fabric might - and also, I could blast it a little with the heat gun to add a little texture to the edges of the petals. I did a prototype card and thought it came out very well - I held the blossoms down with a dab of glue stick while free-motion quilting the centres - I did about 5 to start with and then added a few more on top. I finished the card off with a metal label made from a tomato puree tube (the colour is gorgeous, isn't it!). Lately I've not been making a copy of my cards to keep for myself (I used to when I first started making pcs) but I decided I liked these enough to want to keep a copy - I have flowers and other spring like things in my postcard holder in the spring as the display.



5 comments:

mumzy said...

What a beautiful job you did on the postcards. Very resourceful too.

Emma said...

I love these, and the label is very clever and effective! We actually have hawthorn in our garden - not surprising I suppose given our suburb is Hawthorndene!

Unknown said...

You amaze me the things you find to use - wherever did you get the tomato puree tube idea from?

Kathy said...

The postcards are beautiful! So simple, but just right. You've got a hit there. I'm glad you kept one for yourself.

Mom

TexasRed said...

I love these. great idea!