Monday, January 29, 2007

TAST - more than just a sampler

So here is one of the crazy silk blocks I made up to practice my Take a Stitch Tuesday Challenge stitches on - I'm going to play with other edge treatments as well and general crazy quilting motifs and ideas, but here's a start with some stitching. I did some Cretan stitch down one seam, in two colours (with French Knots); I used herringbone to couch down a ribbon to cover an open join (I basted the ribbon in place and removed the basting after) and I used some blanket stitch in a very thin thread (not entirely brilliant) to sew down a folded seam. The really fine silk thread is hard to work with - partly this is inexperience, of course. Practice makes perfect (or not, in my case, but I can hope it will make me better, at least!) This is from last night - I might do a little more tonight, but I decided my box of threads and yarns was a mess, so I'm sorting that out a bit first. Needs must...

No comments: