This week's stitch for the Take a Stitch Tuesday challenge is the Cretan stitch. After some mucking about with it, I think I finally got the hang of it and I look forward to doing more of it later on other things besides just this practice sample. I did quite like the bit where I used it for flower stems, though I don't think in normal circumstances I'd put quite so many different flower heads on one set of stems - just playing, really.
I decided, though, that although playing is fine for getting the hang of a stitch, it's not all that fun, so am going to make up some crazy blocks using a pack of silk fabrics I bought several years ago and have yet to work out what to do with. Then, when I feel I have the hang of a stitch a bit, I can use it to embellish a seam or two. By the end of the year, perhaps I will have a set of crazy blocks with nicely embellished seams with which I can do something! Here's a photo of the silk fabrics (obviously, they could use ironing!):