Sunday, January 02, 2011

State of the Scrap Basket



It's not empty. But that's it - these have both come from another scrap-busting project I worked on today - the crumb scrap blocks are done - I ended up with 120 or so of the 4.5" blocks in the end. Not sure quite what I will do with them yet, but something.

This year, I am planning to follow along with the soscrappy blog and try to do some more scrap reduction - the basket may be emtpy, but there is still that box of strips, plus the small basket of larger pieces I showed the other day, plus a number of little drawers of squares ranging from 3" to 5" in size.

She is doing her scrap reduction in monthly colour themes, January being blue. One idea she proposed yesterday was to make nine patch blocks from 2" blue squares, and alternate them with 5" snowball blocks (blue corners on a white background). The 2" blue squares weren't a problem (I don't save 2" squares separately, but I do save 4" squares...)

However, I haven't got a lot of white squares in my 5" scrap collection, and while I could have simply cut some WOW into 5" squares, I decided to have a quick look elsewhere in stash and see if there was something else which would serve. And I found this - I think someone gave it to me, as I can't imagine buying it - it's not really my taste, but more than that, it's a bit thicker and obviously a little older than most modern quilting fabrics. Probably not vintage, though. I thought this would make excellent snowball backgrounds, and of course, it has the advantage of being used for a project when it might otherwise just sit in stash.





I was able to cut 24, 5" squares from the floral print. Perfect - I would make 24 nine patch blocks to go with, and alternate them.

And several hours later:



Tomorrow, perhaps I will sew the two stacks together!

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

I am so impressed. Congratulations on getting that basket empty and making so many great blocks in the process. I'm looking forward to seeing them all come together.

sophie said...

Wow, that empty scrap basket is impressive! Your 9-patch - snowball quilt is going to be lovely, too.

Quiltin Jenny said...

Color me impressed! I think I would have to be revived if I ever looked into my scrap basket and saw the bottom! Way to go!

I think the blocks look great. What a great use of that floral fabric.

Sarah Craig said...

I'm not sure my scrap bucket HAS a bottom!!

Nice quilt blocks - can't wait to see the final result!

Toni said...

Keep up the good work! What a great goal to have! I love the blues!

Gail said...

You have been so busy lately! It's a lovely blue block quilt that will be coming up, and another set of scraps will be used up! Can't wait to see the final product.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Congrats on the almost empty basket...but mark my words..they will reproduce and before you know it they will be multiplying! :o)

Look forward to seeing your scrappy quilt...and in blues too..bet it will look fab!

Kathy said...

You have an impressive start for the month. I am gathering up my enthusiasm for the blue scrap challenge while I visit the blogs of quilter's like you that have already started the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Oh, great plan. I like the floral snowball and I can't imagine having my pieces basket empty - not even the small ones I use for 6" bits and pieces blocks. BTW, I put them in the middle of stars most often, but do other things with them, too. Reminds me I have a bunch made up to use now. Maybe one of the other month colors will let me turn them into something!

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks like a fun start to your project!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

Looks like a successful blue Scrap Saturday!!! the blocks are looking great!!

Congrats also on the empty basket! This challenge is really going to get me to play with my scraps more. Its really needed as the scraps are going to meet me at the stairs some night when I head into my sewing room!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea