Friday, March 14, 2008

Spring Fling



Well, I started the day with very good intentions, I had planned to work on my journal quilt and to do a block for my Dear Jane block swap with Cathi, and even got so far as to print out the block I am going to do for that swap, but when I got up to my sewing room, the butterfly centre for the Spring Fling Round Robin just kept calling my name. And who am I to argue with fabric when it tells me stuff? Remember, that's my watchword for the year (and beyond) - "listen".

Anyway, for the last few days, the butterfly has been telling me it wanted flying geese, so today I decided to do some free form, curvy geese in strips and apply them. I decided that 2.5" wasn't really a wide enough border to do anything much with, so I have set the centre block off-centre. The fabric which looks blue in the photo is actually quite purple, but the photo doesn't really show it well - I find it's hard to photograph purple things. Anyway, after some thought and a bit of discussion with the butterfly, this is where we stand. I think it works fairly well, though goodness knows how the next person will cope with it! The orange fabric is what was passed to me, and I have used quite a lot of it - I will send the rest on, along with the teal blue fabric. I've used virtually every scrap of the purple I own, so I can't send that (it's the same fabric as the inside of the pencil roll, actually - I think the colour is better in that photo). And perhaps there's enough purple there anyway.



As for the journal quilt, I will do it tomorrow morning. The Dear Jane block can either get done tomorrow or move to next week - luckily, it doesn't have a firm deadline... And as I was going to put the Spring Fling Round Robin on next week's list, I kind of feel like I'm ahead of myself. (Yeah, right!)

8 comments:

Sandra Wyman said...

Oh yes - that looks gorgeous: love the colours and you're right to have it off centre like that. Just goes to show that when things call you just have to answer!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, that is amazing. so much more movement and LIFE. I love it! great job!

Myra said...

I love what you did with that butterfly center. The curvy flying geese are perfect!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks great. Dare I say I am hoping it won't be me next as I don't know how I would follow that! Thanks for the pencil roll tutorial as well. x

tirane93 said...

listening seems to serve you well. that's an excellent and unique treatment for the round!

Anonymous said...

Knew you'd come up with something fabulous!! LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Kate and I like the flying geese, something I need to learn so I can use up all of the hundreds of 2.5" squares I have from gradations.

marisa said...

Wonderful.