Monday, March 17, 2008

Arch & ATC



I don't usually blog in the middle of the day, but there's no reason not to, just that I'm usually busy doing other stuff. Today, I finished working on a couple of pieces and decided not to start something else as I only had half an hour or so - I need to run past the library and post office before getting the kids from school. So I came down to check my email and decided to go ahead and blog...

Anyway, after finishing up the JQ and ATCs from yesterday, I decided to work on the March Arch for the Arch swap - this month I had to make an arch for Gillian, who likes leaves, seahorses and anything Egyptian. Frankly, getting all three of those things into one card seemed a little awkward, so I didn't even try - I went for seahorses, with a few leaves thrown in for good measure. I found a lovely piece of hand-dyed fabric in my stash from a swap - it looks like a flour-type resist, so I'm guessing it was a resist swap of some sort - anyway, it was green with a fabulously textured background, so I know it would work for this. I then layered on some skeleton leaves in cream and green, some seahorses I cut out of fabric (with fusible on the back) (I just printed out some pics off the internet and cut around them - I certainly can't draw a seahorse myself) and then started adding fibres. I decided at the end it needed some beads. I'm pleased with how it came out - I hope Gillian will like it too. The photo on the right is better in terms of colour...



And here's what else I have to show today - a postcard from Jovita in Lithuania - O is for Oak. I'd had to do an alphabet series in a foreign language - it's bad enough trying to thing of things that start with O when your sure about the translation! And the ATC (which stands for Artist Trading Card for those not familiar with the term)on the right is the one that's going to Anna. I decided it showed the use of the washer better than the other two, and as that was part of the challenge...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the oak postcard, and how cool all the way from Lithuainia!

Jennifer said...

Love all of the fiber postcards! So unique!

I've tagged you.
Here’s the idea:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
Have fun!
: )

artisbliss said...

I love the arch cards you've been getting. That shape rings my chimes.

Julie said...

Your seahorse arch is lovely and I like the washer card you've chosen for Anna.

Guzzisue said...

I'm still working with the washers for Anna so it is interesting to see what other people are doing.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

The seahorse arch is really lovely. I also like your little faces- are they Sculpey clay?

Vicky said...

I LOVE the arch. The fibers look great as underwater grasses.

Helen in the UK said...

It's been a while since I checked your blog and I continue to be amazed at what you achieve as well as being a mum!!
I'd love to be in the draw for the ATC :)

Debbi Baker said...

I just love that arch!! Stunning.