Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tuesday again already



Anyone know where June is going? Can't believe it's nearly been 3 weeks of it already!


Lots of goodies today, most of them in the post -first, the batik Jacob's Ladder blocks back from that swap. Guess I have to think about doing something with them now. At the moment, I have just filed them away to mature... :) And three back issues of Cloth, Paper, Scissors. I have several miscellaneous back issues, but I really like this magazine a lot, and want to fill in the collection. Luckily, it's not been going for very long, so it shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to do. Lots of treats to read, hoorah!



Another postcard from the tree swap also arrived today - this one from Judi, who has used a great yarn for edging as well as creating a really lovely tree. One more to go on that swap - there have been some great ones. I'm glad I signed up to it, despite agonising for ages over what to do (actually, once I got the triangle trees idea I was much happier). And the other "goodie" is two pack of cheap rubbers (erasers) from Woolworths - I was queuing up to buy some polo shirts (school uniform) and saw these on a rack, and thought they'd be great for carving rubber stamps from. And if not, well, they were only 65p per pack, so no great loss.





And this is what I worked on today. I decided to pull the scrapbuster blocks back out and work some on the black mock sashing - I decided I wanted more black space between the blocks, so have added another row of black squares on all the blocks. I like this better - more differentiation, even where some of the pieces in the middle have back or another dark colour touching the sashing.


The piece on the right is a start to my quilt for Quilt Swap 4 - inspired by a comment on my triangle postcards that they would make a nice quilt all sewn together. I am using these HSTs as a base - the piece above is about half the size I want it to be - at the moment, it's about 18" wide or so. I plan to add sheers on top of it, and use stitching and my soldering iron to make little pockets holding bits and pieces - not sure quite what all will be in the little sheer shapes - glitter, sequins, small beads, bits of fabric, thread, lace, ribbon, anything else I can think of that will work. But first to piece the triangles. I am trying to be quite random about it, though it's hard to resist lining them all up the same way...

I also finished binding the funky circles quilt - I tied and buttoned it last night and sewed the binding on today (luckily, it was already made) and took it to quilt group tonight, where I sewed it down. Productivity, hoorah!

1 comment:

Carina said...

Oh, you must let me know how those erasers work as stamps - I can't believe I haven't seen those at work. But that's me for ya.. ;-)

I love Cloth Paper Scissors too, it's really inspiring, even if it's not the kind of things I make. But I firmly believe that inspiration is everywhere - and any excuse works when it comes to buying magazines.. ;-)